Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New Atv Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Atv Questions??

I agree, I'd look hard at the Raptor 700. Especially (but not limited) to the SE edition with the nice suspension....

The 450s are great, but everyone I know with one that does not race grows quickly tired of the maintenance.... And those who don't keep up on said maintenance find themselves at the dealer an awful lot.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look into the Suzuki LT R450. I am also 6'2" and found it to fit me and my long arms and legs much better than any other 450. I can't explain why, but the geometry is just better.

I used to have a banshee, a Quadzilla 500 and various others like the Blaster. Bar None, the SuzuKi R450 is the best machine I have ever owned or ridden. The maintenance is not that bad. You just need to change oil (use sythetic for longer engine life) and check the valves every 6 months or so (unless you race which would mean you would not be looking for advice here).

Also, the Raptor makes great low-end wheelie poppin power, but is top heavy and tippy and would require major suspension mods to be as agile as the 450's. Raptor just handles like crap. Even if the Suzuki is not for you, I would highly reccomend the 450's. They can always be easily modified for more power if you want it and they will not ever dissapoint in the handling department.

As for the banshee, great machine and very reliable, but tough in tight trails and seriously lacking in low end power.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Massltr
Also, the Raptor makes great low-end wheelie poppin power, but is top heavy and tippy and would require major suspension mods to be as agile as the 450's. Raptor just handles like crap. Even if the Suzuki is not for you, I would highly reccomend the 450's. They can always be easily modified for more power if you want it and they will not ever dissapoint in the handling department.
I hate to break it to you but you are VERY mistaken about the raptor. First off, the front end has the same a-arms as the yfz450 and the machine is NOT tippy and doesn't handle like crap. A pro rider just did a MX track with both quads and the raptor turned something like a .8 sec difference in time.. that is a pro rider with less than a sec difference lap time if the raptor handled like crap he wouldn't of turned such similar lap times and just think the Raptor weighs 46 more pounds. Can you put two and two together?

Also, for a person who isn't competing why not have reverse?

Look how close the two machines are in size.

L x W x H
Raptor 700r 72.6? x 46.1? x 44.5? yfz450 = 72.4? x 46.1? x 42.9? Raptor has a .2" longer lenght and Height is only 1.6" different.

Seat Height 32" yfz450= 31.9? - Holy smoke a whole .1 difference

Wheelbase 50.4" yfz450= 50.4? - What do you know? The same

Some people are so misinformed. Basicly saying "buzz" words they heard people say about the old 660 raptor being tippy or top heavy. Get informed before you start spouting about something you don't know about.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: MikeCamp<br
I hate to break it to you but you are VERY mistaken about the raptor. First off, the front end has the same a-arms as the yfz450 and the machine is NOT tippy and doesn't handle like crap. A pro rider just did a MX track with both quads and the raptor turned something like a .8 sec difference in time.. that is a pro rider with less than a sec difference lap time if the raptor handled like crap he wouldn't of turned such similar lap times and just think the Raptor weighs 46 more pounds. Can you put two and two together?

Also, for a person who isn't competing why not have reverse?

Look how close the two machines are in size.

L x W x H
Raptor 700r 72.6? x 46.1? x 44.5? yfz450 = 72.4? x 46.1? x 42.9? Raptor has a .2" longer lenght and Height is only 1.6" different.

Seat Height 32" yfz450= 31.9? - Holy smoke a whole .1 difference

Wheelbase 50.4" yfz450= 50.4? - What do you know? The same

Some people are so misinformed. Basicly saying "buzz" words they heard people say about the old 660 raptor being tippy or top heavy. Get informed before you start spouting about something you don't know about.

Wow, must have hit a raw nerve. Lets get a couple things straight.

I was reccomending the Suzuki (which I own) and have competed with YFZ.
Also, I HAVE RIDDEN the Raptor 700 and am far from copying "buzz" words.

First, the RAPTOR weighs only 46 pounds more? That almost 15% !
Ever hear of Horsepower to Weight ratios?

Second, Seat height is irrelevant. What matters is the elevation of the bulk of the weight of the machine. In the Raptors case, the engine sits higher in the frame and the engine is the heaviset single item in almost any machine. Having Ridden the Raptor, I can tell you I have no confidence in its high speed cornering ability next to the 450.

Also, the Suzuki has a 49 inch wide wheelbase making it the widest Sport Quad on the market and the most stable unless expensive A-arms and extended axles are installed on any other sport quad. (don't even talk about inexpensive wheel spacers, the stock suspension is not desinged for optimum performance in this case).

Next, .8 seconds on an MX track (lets assume average speed at 25 mph (conservatively) is exactly 29.33 feet BEHIND. That is (based on a 50.4 inch long wheelbase as you stated) exactly 6.98 Bike Lengths!!!!!!!!

That is not exactly a photo finish.

So, next time you want to question if I can "put two and two together", you better go back to elementary school math class or ask your Alma Mater for your money back!

By the way, if he wants a 450 with reverse he can buy the new Kawasaki 450.

nuff said

Old 03-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

No nerve struck here. I'm just correcting your BS comments. There is enough BS floating around the net and we don't need any more from some know it all.

Your exact words were the "Raptor handles like crap"

1) That's a total BS statement and untrue. Period. No matter how you want to slice it.

2) He asked for something that was easy to maintain. A raptor 700r is way easier to maintain vs a high strung 450 that is using a shim under bucket. Rocker setup = EASY.

3) Use your math a little more, 6 whole lenghts on a race track with a pro rider on a 46lb heavier quad. ROFL give me a break dude. You missed the whole adding two and two together point. Use your math to figure that its a very close race with a heavier machine. Someone buying a bike for all around isn't going to be worried about .8.

4) Kawie isn't even out yet, new quad nobody knows how it will hold up, another high strung maintenance motor.

5) Your LTR is a MX specific quad. The poster said "I will be doing all sorts of riding no particular type" he's also 6'2 194lbs which the extra TQ of the big bore will help. Why in the world would he even consider a MX specific quad?

"nuff said"... that just tells me your age. Young. LOL

Old 03-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

As you said, Raptor is a Heavier Quad. It produces inferior lap times no matter "how you slice it"...

YOU are the one who pointed out the .8 second difference, not me. I would not want to be embarrased and use the "I lost only because my quad is heavier" excuse when I get blown away by a bike with 250 less cc by almost 7 bike lengths.

As for my age, I bet I am plenty more experienced than you... I learned on a 1983 ATC 70... when it was new and I was only 5 feet tall!

Also, most of my riding is trail/recreational. The R450 may be designed for MX but it can easily be made to compete with the Raptor on the trails with 20" rear tires... a small investment compared to making the Raptor as agile and quick as the R450.

All quads need maintenance. A couple hours checking and shimming valves once or twice a year is well worth the added benefit.

I am not saying Raptors are junk or unrelaible... I am only saying they cannot handle as well or compete with a 450's. I don't want to see the poster wish he bought the 450 once he has exhausted the potential of a Raptor.

In case you missed it I am also 6'2" and almost 190lbs (same size as the poster)... The tourqe of a Raptor will pop a good wheelie with my size but won't make the Raptor handle any better than a 450.

None of this is BS, it is the informed statement of someone with 24 years in the saddle of ATV's.

The one who sounds young is you, who is married to decision of purchasing a Raptor and is in denial and making excuses as to why the 450's continually get more accolades.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Trailblazer

LOL

Yes, you are young if you were 5ft tall in 1983 riding a 70.

I'm glade you think that guys on Raptor 700r's are getting walked on by the almighty 450s. ROFL. Why don't you go preach your 450 BS to guys on Raptor forum. There are a few quads on that site that will kill any big bored 450.

Let me know when you can find me a 450 that can compete > http://www.rocketfactory.biz/ - guess what there isn't any.

"A couple hours checking and shimming valves once or twice a year is well worth the added benefit. " Added benefit of what? No torque, no reverse, more maintenance? You can do anything on a 700 you can do on a 450 and more. It's a way better all around quad. It has huge potential.

Have fun on your LTR. Don't get mad when the next 700r spanks you... you can just think of me.

If you want to talk some more smack do me a favor and do it here so I can sit back a laugh a little >
Raptor Forums

http://www.*fzcentral.com/invision/i...5236&hl=raptor < Replace the * with a Y

Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

HOLD THE PHONE. I STAND CORRECTED!! lol

The Raptor turned the faster lap time over the YFZ with the pro rider. ROFL - Now what do you have to say big mouth? I was misinformed about the Raptor turning slower lap times.

Read about it here:
http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=12097.0

Old 03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

lol good stuff homies...

Im kind of in the same situation for a new bike..im 5'7..140 lbs..
Dealers bikes n prices...so far..

'06 LTR 450=7500...come with front 22" ITP holeshots, and 20" back holeshots, pro taper handle bars, acerbis handguards, pro armor front bumper and nerfs..

'07 Honda 450R=6800...the sweeeet a$$$ black with flames color

'06 Z400=5000....im not so sure about getting a Z if im taking a loan out and paying for it many years if im only upgrading from a 350 to a 400...but the price is appealing!! I just dont want to get bored with the power and have to still pay for it.

As for yamaha i havent been there yet...

Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

Which one do you guys think is the best deal??

Quick Reply: New Atv Questions??