Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Features vs. Maintnance

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just test rode the 500 scram 4x4. I must say that it was a sweet ride. Pretty quick, simple to ride. My only hold back is that the 500 scram has so many features such as 4x4, reverse, radiator etc. These are all things that require maintnance and could break. I was also considering the 400ex. Heres a bike with basically an engine and 4 wheels. Cant be much to worry about breaking there. But i do like all of the features of the scram....Someone give me some input. especially you (Scrammdaddy)....

Old 12-19-2000, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Spyder I will tell you right now that I have'nt had a problem with my scrambler 400 yet, I beat that machine since the day I got it. I was as concerned about the reliability as you are right now and cuz it was on warranty if anything did happen I could get a replacement for free.
Well, it's been 5 months now and after rolling it down a hill, crashing into five trees, pulling a bronco up a dirt road, driving it through mud sections wide open that were ment for 4x4's, and "accidently" bottoming out on rocks the only problem I had was the tool case cap popping off.
I got a replacement one that was redesigned under my warrenty.
As for that everything else performed flawlessly, I took the belt housing off to see how bad the belt was after the abuse, it looked like it had barely been used.
If you had read any of my other post you can see why I back polaris' new machines.

You said you wanted to consider the 400ex, DON'T.
I know you won't like it you sound like me, you want a machine that will take you where you want to with no trouble. If you buy the 400ex that is'nt going to happen.
First off your buying a machine that cost $100 bucks more than the scrambler and it does'nt even have REVERSE. Now before you say raptor consider this, the scrambler offers you the looks, performance, and speed of a sport quad, but also the torque, work capabilitys, and power of a utility quad. For the price it does'nt get any better than that, those race quads don't even touch the versitility of the scrambler.
I know if you buy one you'll never want to ride anything else.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-20-2000, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

if you wanna have fun buy a RAPTOR if you wanna do work (utility) buy a cub cadet DON'T MIX BUSINESS WITH PLEASURE.

01 RAPTOR
95 VMAX 1200
90 CUB CADET hahaha

Old 12-20-2000, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Ya pleasure to me is getting stuck in the mud or spinning out going up a hill on one of these new good for nothing "race quads".
When you buy the scrambler your getting the best of both worlds, a sports quad for playing around and a utility quad for when the trail gets rough and you need the extra torque and power only a utility can offer.
I dont know about you but when I buy an atv that is going to leave a dent in my bank account it better do everything I what it to do with no trouble.PERIOD.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-20-2000, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

yeah im sure your scrambler has torque but im also sure my 660 has alot more . as for the mud every year my dealer has a MUD BOG for atv's, and NONE of the 4x4's or weak 4 strokes can make it. if you can't get up the speed to glide over it you'll just dig yourself a hole. the only 4 stroke that make are ex 400 raptor and ds650. when you buy a scrambler your not getting the best of both your just getting an average quad.

Old 12-21-2000, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

VMAX, those are my thoughts as well, I ride with a number of guys who run scrablers and they do go fast but that's about it. Like the magazines proclaim, they do neither well - sport or utility. If you want a quad to do some work, the lack of low range will hurt you with the scrambler. If you want to run through woods and do some jumping the 400ex will eat the scrambler for lunch, really no comparison here. But if you want to do a little 4 wheeling(4wd) also then the scrambler can hold it's own or a least beat the sport class.

I won't even get into all the threads I've seen about broken chains and faulty 4wd problems with the scramblers . . .go for the ex less headaches way more fun!

Old 12-21-2000, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

If you really want power then look into a Raptor. It handles like the Honda 400EX & has more power than the Scrambler.

The only problem with the Raptor is finding one, they are still in short supply.

Old 12-21-2000, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

"Now before you say raptor consider this, the scrambler offers you the looks, performance, and speed of a sport quad, but also the torque, work capabilitys, and power of a utility quad. For the price it does'nt get any better than that, those race quads don't even touch the versitility of the scrambler."

Scramboy lets take a closer look at your response and all laugh together. I won't even address the 400ex here as your raptor approach is even more humorous!

Offers the looks - you probably thick all Artic Cat utility quads are the best looking also. Raptor is all new and is a great looking quad.

Performance and Speed - Your 400 scrambler is going to give you both of these over a 660 raptor, wrong again - not even a contest!

Torque - I guarantee the raptor has more, now it's not geared the same but hp and torque go to the raptor.

Work capabilities- with awd you can do more then a raptor, I'll give you that. But with out low range the scrambler is a weak attempt at a work machine, a 300 king quad is much more capable. If you want to use your quad as a working quad then one should by a utility machine.

Price - Should be be cheaper, its just a 400 engine in a regular chasis whereas the whole package weighs as much as a utility quad but claims to be sport. Again does neither well.

We're all happy with your love for your machine just tired of you slaming the scramblers down everyones throat.

Old 12-21-2000, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey were can I buy this machine your talking about cuz it sure is'nt the raptor!!!
And I was talking about the 500 scrambler which has the same engine as the sportsman 500 HO, you first of all can't tell me that its not a torquey engine it outperforms the ruby.
I cant see why your pushing the raptor, the scrambler can out perform it in everything except speed and handling.
I never said the scrambler was an all on anything, but it has a little of each of the charactoristic that I mentioned. The raptor is geared for racing and thats it, you can not bring it up to a gnarly trail and pray for the best it ain't going to happen.
I'm sorry bud but that machine does'nt stand a chance on real world trails with a 4x4 scrambler.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-21-2000, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Problems with faulty chains, there is no chains on '97+ scramblers theres a chain. Notice how its plural, thats because theres a shaft drive in the front.
Who would no better about a 2000 scrambler then a 2000 scrambler owner, not a "honda rancher" owner.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Quick Reply: Features vs. Maintnance