Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

KFX 700 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007 | 12:03 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default KFX 700 ???

Absolutely ride the 700 first, before you spend your hard earned money! Three of my buddies have these (they are all HUGE guys who mostly ride dunes), so I have ridden this machine. Frankly, it is nothing more than a huge heavy warmed over 2wd utility. Nothing very sporty about it at all! Huge mistake for your type of riding!!!

Also, seems like all you can imagine doing right now is ripping around, but just wait until you get on a machine and you will want to go trail riding! Best to get a machine that will be a good trail quad as well.

I have a buddy who is almost exactly your size, and he motocrosses a Yamaha 450. Get a machine that is light and flickable...you will have tons of fun!

Old 06-01-2007 | 04:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default KFX 700 ???

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jmasscu

Hi, I'm not that concerned about big air. I'll be riding in very open spaces with mainly smaller jumps. My concern is that I'll get a 400ex or something and within 6 months be super comfortable and want a bigger or faster quad. However, everyone on here keeps telling me that buying a 700cc for my first quad is basically suicide. What are your thoughts?? Thanks so much I really appreciate the insight</end quote></div>

The 700 is no more suicide than someone trying to tell you to buy a 450, sheesh. Did I miss it, or did you even say, but your age and experience level are handy to know when giving advice. A 400 class quad is also a good quad. Automatics are not just for little kids. I enjoy just riding it and not having to worry about shifting, not that it is a worry, I have ridden and owned many quads that have had manual shifters, I just like to cruise.

Old 06-01-2007 | 01:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default KFX 700 ???

Thanks for the insight. I'm 29yrs old and only have very limited experience on auto atv's. I would definitely classify myself as a novice. I think my major concern is that the 700 seems to weigh a ton and may not be as agile as say a Honda 400ex. I'm sure I can learn to shift it's just whether or not it's going to be a pain b/c I'm not gonna be racing the thing.

Old 06-01-2007 | 03:21 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default KFX 700 ???

I honostly think for goofing around, and reliablity, a 400ex or Z400 would be the way to go. I've been riding and racing for 18 years now, and I can still have plenty of fun on a 400.

Old 06-04-2007 | 02:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default KFX 700 ???

I was recently in the same boat as you, researched buying my first quad for 2 months. I am 34, 215lbs and 5'10".

I was debating between the 400ex and the Raptor 700, and I went with the Raptor 700 and am very happy I went big. I looked at the KFX700 also but it was just too heavy for my taste.

I was afraid at first of getting a big bore but I went with what felt right, the 400ex just didn't feel right for me and the raptor did. After buying it, I know I made the right choice and I appreciate the 700.

I am not trying to sway you to buy a Raptor, just saying go with what you feel comfortable with. Sit on them, ride em if you can. If you are not comfortable having to learn the clutch then get the KFX700, you will be happy. Don't let the size scare you as long as you take the ATV safety course, always wear full safety gear and do not ride above your abilties (know your limitations) you will be happy on the big bore.

I went for the Raptor 700 as my first quad, with the exception of a couple times, the last time I rode was 15 years ealier on a RM250 dirt bike I had for just over a year, so I was and still am a novice too.

Old 06-04-2007 | 02:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default KFX 700 ???

Very good post and very good advice Hesher. The Rappy is a very good machine indeed.

Old 06-04-2007 | 07:18 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default KFX 700 ???

The Raptor 700 has its positive an negative points. On the pos side, it has tons of torque and the engine will lug down if you need to ride slow, but it does check out early on the top end. It does have a slightly larger frame than the 400/450 class, but yet it isn't the tank that the Kawi and DS are.

On the negative, I find it to be to narrow and a bit tippy for my taste, especially for high speed riding in the open country. The suspension seems cush to some, but if you are heavy I will bet it will actually feel mushy. And, for me the ergonomics just don't feel right, but they may be OK for you....

Do not however become obsessed with the number 700. There is a replacement for displacement.....and it's called a 450!

Old 06-05-2007 | 12:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default KFX 700 ???

Z400 is a great bike.

Hell, you can get hurt on bayou 220 ok... its all about taking your time to gain experience...

Z400 is not much slower then a FX700 anyway

Old 06-06-2007 | 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Default KFX 700 ???

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jmasscu

Hi, I'm not that concerned about big air. I'll be riding in very open spaces with mainly smaller jumps. My concern is that I'll get a 400ex or something and within 6 months be super comfortable and want a bigger or faster quad. However, everyone on here keeps telling me that buying a 700cc for my first quad is basically suicide. What are your thoughts?? Thanks so much I really appreciate the insight</end quote></div>

Dude, the 400s are just as fast as a kfx700....

I've raced my father dozens of times, and my little z400 will keep right along side of his 700... In fact I have a higher top speed since his runs out of gearing before mine does.

Oh and you are not too big for a 400, I have at least 50-60 pounds on you......

Old 07-26-2007 | 04:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default KFX 700 ???

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jarmoore

Starting out on a KFX700 ... lol

That would be like a 16 year old getting a brand new Corvette as their first car.</end quote></div>

man, hes 6'2 215lbs, so obviously he cant be compared to a 16 year old. Just respect the machine and the power it has and you will be fine.