Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

If you get your atv's insured, and registered, can you ride it from your house to the trails???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you get your atv's insured, and registered, can you ride it from your house to the trails???

We have two atv's and haven't got them registered yet. We ride them down the street to get to the trails....problem is, just my nephew and my son were riding, and a cop pulled my nephew over, and told him it's illegal, and the cop was a good friend of mine, so he knows where the quads are at. He told us we could just keep them at a man up street's house, because it right next to our trails. But my son has been saving for an atv for years, and I just don't feel right about taking it their...any suggestions?

Thank you so much.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Range Rover
Default If you get your atv's insured, and registered, can you ride it from your house to the trails???

So are you saying keeping a non- registered,non-insured quad at a friend's is a good or bad idea? Well if so i think so.My quad stay's where i can see it, not saying i dont trust my friend but if anything should happen then who do you blame????

Old 06-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't matter if you are insured or not, registered or not, in most areas it is not legal to ride an ATV on the road. Some riding areas (Like in Wisconsin) set up ATV routes for those areas where the trails get near a regular road. In these cases, they are posted routes with a liimited speed. ATV's must stay single file on the right and only stay in the ATV route area. This works for when the trail crosses a road or a bridge and to give the ATV's access to food and fuel in towns. Some rural areas (like where I live in Tennessee) just look the other way. While it is not legal to ride on the roads there is a fair amount of ATV traffic on back roads that are near or within the boundaries of designated riding areas. Currently there have been no real problems so the cops do not stop anyone. All it's going to take though is a couple of instinces where someone gets hurt and that's likely to change.

It sounds like in your case you will either have to leave the quads at your friends house that has trail access, transport your quads to the trails on a trailer or negotiate with other neighbors to use a portion of their yards as an access trail to the main trails.

Jaybee

Old 06-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I live in Maple Lake, Mn, and the cops leave us alone. We ride the roads to the gas station,grocery store, park, lake,ect.... as long as we are obeying the traffic laws, and being responsible. Ive never seen anyone pulled over, but it is also a small town.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

"but it's a small town"
there is not very many places in MN where you can ride anywhere but a designated ATV trail. consider your self very luck that you have that privilage

Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Depends on where you live. In Calliee the black and whites will have you sign a pretty yellow piece of paper if you are cought on the road.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

In Pa we are allowed to cross roads and bridges to get to a trail but other than that forget it. Just remember maintain course and speed and dont look behind you. If you dont look back you dont see the cop. Dont run just maintain course and speed that way you are not eluding. Its not like they will chase you up the trail. This is all asuming you dont have to come back out the same trail anytime soon

Old 06-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, Off Road or any ATV type Registration do not allow you to put that vehicle on a maintained or designated road, street or highway in most states,counties,etc. Unless laws are passed so ATVs can be. As soon as you put a wheel on that "maintained road etc."you are in violation if seated on the ATV. Legislation of ATVs on the roads would mean that a 5 yr old would have have a drivers license. Also the ATV license and insurance would be prohibitive. Like others responded know the laws of your jurisdiction. Talk to the local policing agency and find out what they will let you get away with but sounds like you already know. In California IF caught they take your ATV to car jail and you receive a pink copy of your ticket. Cost between $300-$400 with ticket, storage and hauling fees. Get a couple of these and you can have bought a nice trailer to haul them.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

mrlolman,
There is some good information that I found in the General discussion section that may be helpful depending in what State you live in relating to your question. Hope it's helpful. May have already seen but thought I'd offer. New to site so hope I don't step on anybodies feet.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I love living in Serbia [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Here I could drive on highway if I wanted to, and no cop could give me a ticket, not because it's legal (it's not forbidden either), but the ATV does not exist in Serbia's law [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mine is registered as a buldozer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: If you get your atv's insured, and registered, can you ride it from your house to the trails???