Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Yamaha or Kawasaki Ultimatic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha or Kawasaki Ultimatic?

I have recently ran across a 2001 Yamaha or Kawasaki Ultimatic (I am not sure of whether it is a Kawasaki or Yamaha but remember if being an ultimatic). It is a 4x4, has 123 miles on it, oversized front and rear racks, a hard gun case mounted on the side, and 2 small boxes mounted on it for ammo and such. It has never been rained on and has only been on a dirt road twice. The man thought he was going to get back into deer hunting and ended up only riding his grand children around the neighborhood. I was just wondering what a four wheeler like this would be worth because his asking price is pretty reasonable ($3000, maybe less)) but I did not know about the fact that it is 7 years old. I would also like to know if this fourwheeler is any good or if I would just be wasting my money. Thanks for any replies.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is, sometimes sitting around is worse for a machine than being used! You can probably expect the carb to be all gummed up. If the oil has not been changed regularly in all these years, it is probably very acidic by now. Stuff like that.......

I'm no fan of automatics. I just prefer a good old gear-on-gear manual trans myself.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Probably a Yamaha,they used the term "Ultramatic" My friend rides a 2000 400 Kodiak and never had problems with it. There has not been any real technology improvements in ATVs in the last 7 years just new models introductions. In Fact the 2001 looks better than the 2008 400 4x4 because it has a low range and lighter weight,though the 08 has irs (low range is more important to me). 2001 Utramatic vs 2008 Ultramatic specs Heck even the plastic has not changed in 8 years on the Ultramatic.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I turn down some used 2004 ATVs just because they had more miles on them and bought a low mile 2001 instead.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 104... You really believe it was never rained on and only saw dirtroads twice? Just like most sports cars are "Lady Driven" Eh?! Just busting your chops bro... Seriously though if it's in nice shape you should buy because you could ride it and still get your money out of it if you keep it nice and off the dirt and out if the rain. LOL... Sorry again sometimes I go a little far.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont believe I said I believed that it has not been rained on, I was only passing on what the man said. I do however believe that. Maybe next time I will make myself more clear for you if you need me to. The man that has it is a really reputable man and I would trust him over most people. I dont know about where you live but a man's word means a lot here. If you were to see this ATV you would think it came right off the showroom floor. This would make me believe that yes it has been on a dirt road twice and probably hasn't been rained on. Thats a cute ride you have there, looks really practical...

Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If it has the original tires that are in mint shape and the plastic is perfect than you don't really need to hear what the guy says. When I bough my 2001 last year the odometer did not work to tell me mileage but one glance told me the ATV had a easy life. You can't hide the effects of a high mileage or abused machine. Its easy to look up the original tire type of a ATV.

This is my 3rd used ATV and I never been burt yet,but I sure saved big. $6000 for a new ATV? Not for me.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Really though, up in Canada used ATV's are like bricks of gold. Unfortuneatly, there never really seems to be any in nice shape. That's why I was kiddin' around about the condition of the bike. Mostly 'cause I couldn't tell ya what a good used bike looks like. If there is a well kept bike here for sale the owner useually wants almost as much as the MSRP of a new one. The only advantage to buying used here is saving 14% sales tax.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

You weren't slammin' my ride, were you? Man, it's an "Ultramatic" too. Really. But I also owned, before this bike, a '02 Kodiak 400 like the one you're thinking of getting. I personally liked it a little better at times than this one. I find the IRS on my new one has a little bit of body roll when going into or comming out of corners at higher speeds. The SRA of the 400 was more fun, or funner (if that's a word) to ride because you could chuck the rear end around on the trails in 2WD.