Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

input on 5 quads

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default input on 5 quads

Great forum you have hear.

i have been on and off bikes trikes and quads my hole life up until 15 years ago when my oldest son was born.

I started out on a Honda Z50 at the age of 7
by 9 i had a Yamaha YZ50
at 10 Yamaha YZ80
at 12 got my first and only three wheeler a Suzuki 185 quad sport
when i was 15 got a Yamaha YZ125 last bike till i was 19
19 i got a Yamaha 200 blaster had this 6 months
then i got a Yamaha 350 Banshee i sold this when i was 22 wife was afraid i would kill myself on it and my son would never know his dad ( <span class="FTHighlightFont">she was rite i was a nut back then</span ft><span class="FTHighlightFont"></span ft> ).

Now older and wiser i hope lol i have 2 sons one 15 and one 11 and a daughter that is seven plus a wife age not to said out loud lol, and would like to get everyone a quad in the next 2 months. i know if i buy name brand i would be over or close to 20 grand for everyone and i am not a big fan of financing but have 8 grand to play with. I would like to buy new and have been looking around and have seen some very nice looking quads but was wondering what would give me the best deal on performance speed dependability warranty and also have the ability to add upgraded performance parts. any input would be great

these are the bikes i was looking at but was not sure

for me Hurricane 250xp
oldest son Hurricane 250
wife Tornado 200
youngest son Cyclone 150
and the daughter Polar Cat 110 Jr

i am not stuck on any one quad i am open for all comments
thanks for any input!!!

kwick

Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default input on 5 quads

Not familiar with those brands. Are they sport quads or utilities????

Several of my friends have bought "off brand" machines, and absolutely all of them have lived to regret it!!! Your money will likely prove to have been wasted within a year, if not sooner! Stick with the big 4!

I would either buy new and just get a couple of machines for now, or buy used if you are mechanical and can keep them up. Assuming you want sport quads:

For the boys, the new Yamaha Raptor 250 or a used Blaster. Same for the wife if she is willing to shift a full manual. Otherwise, a Honda 250EX.

For you, you one of the 400's (Honda or Suzuki) either new or used.

For the little one, there are lots of choices in minnies these days. Should be able to find a used one. My kids grew up on LT80's and Honda 90's.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default input on 5 quads

these are all sport quads i will get the links is i can find them booked marked them and firefox updated and i lost all bookmarks. As for buying used wife is dead against that, also really need to get all 5 at once. We would like to do this as a family event not 2 at a time if ya know what i mean

this is the Hurricane 250
this is the Tornado 200

this is the Cyclone 150

and lastly Ploar cat 110

thanks for the input so far noted about the big 4

kwick

Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default input on 5 quads

As for the "used" issue, I have lots of other friends who have 20 year old Hondas that are still going strong. Sure, you can't be sure how the previous owner cared for it, but the potential is there with these machines to last virtually forever......

On the other hand, I have some friends who bought "off brands" and after a year they are sitting in the back yard out in the rain because they don't run anymore and they can't get parts......

Get at least one good machine (like a 400EX), so you have something to tow the others home with!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default input on 5 quads

Its tempting to buy those cheap quads..it sure appears like alot of enjoyment compared to the price. But unless you are a good McGiver type mechanic, you will live to regret the decision.
Your best bet is used. Ive seen deals from time to time, people selling 2 or 3 quads, and trailer, and resonable, Im not sure youll find a deal like that in the next 2 months, but believe me, its much better to make a good decision, than to make a quick decision.
Personally id stick with honda. If you buy used, and do some good shopping ( try craiglist, ive found lots of deals there), you can end up driving for almost free. Find a good used quad for 2000, which is very doable, drive 3 years and sell for what you paid or slightly less. If you buy new, the first year, you will lose at least 1000 apiece.
250ex, 250 recon, any rancher, any 300ex, 400ex will work out good for you. And when you are ready to sell, there will be people in line waiting to buy a used honda, but no one(dont ask how I know this), will want a used Chinese quad.
Ive found the best deals on used 2wd utes, like beartrackers, bayous, recons, ozarks. Everyone else wants 4wd in a ute, so the price really drops on 2wd in the used market. They are fun to drive, for the most part unbreakable, and even somewhat sporty. Plus everyone services and sells parts for them, when they do break.
my 2 cents.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default input on 5 quads

I would stay away from anything BUT Honda, Kawi, suzuki, Yamaha, Can-am.
You = 400ex!
Wife= 250-400 any brand she thinks is pretty
oldest Son = 400ex
youngest Son 250cc or 300cc
Daugheter = 200cc

Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default input on 5 quads

Polaris and Articat

Old 12-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default input on 5 quads

i just found a 2006 leftover blaster for 2200 what do you think about this for the oldest son? thanks again for the input

kwick

Old 12-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default input on 5 quads

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CowMT

I would stay away from anything BUT Honda, Kawi, suzuki, Yamaha, Can-am.

You = 400ex!

Wife= 250-400 any brand she thinks is pretty

oldest Son = 400ex

youngest Son 250cc or 300cc

Daugheter = 200cc</end quote></div>

Yeah, nothing wrong with Arctic Cat and Polaris. Arctic Cat and Yamaha would be my first choices

Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Range Rover
Default input on 5 quads

The blaster would be a good quad for your son especially since he is a beginner. It doesn't have to much power but will get him around good. The only problem is that the technology is slightly dated but for the price it would be fine.

Quick Reply: input on 5 quads