Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

2 up rider?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 up rider?

Greetings, I am looking to get back into ATVs after some time away and are considering a 2 up rider.
I am looking for a machine that will convert to a 1 up but will carry my wife occasionally.
My local dealer has a left over 2006 Arctic Cat TRV500 that will come with a 2 year warranty. My question is are these big long wheel base 2/up machines like driving a school bus?
Will a 500 4 stroke be powerful enough?
I will be mostly riding seasonal roads and an occasional single path trail.
I just like to cruise along and look at the scenery, not into raising hell, I'm a guy in my mid 50s. I will occasionally do a little spirited riding on a trail where visibilty is good, am concerned about the lack of a sway bar on this machine.
Any opinions?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2 up rider?

The reason he has a 2006 2-up AC left is because the A/C two-up is not a very popular model among 2-up folks, BUT, if the price is right and your getting a DARN good price, I'd go for it.

I own a 2006 800cc Can-Am 2-up. It is second to none in regards to a 2-up machine. You'll like the 2-up, it drives nice and is very stable. Nobody NEEDS a 800cc HO EFI in a Utility 4x4. Take a look at Can-Ams 500cc 2-up machine and their 650 too before you decide.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 up rider?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE

Nobody NEEDS a 800cc HO EFI in a Utility 4x4. .</end quote></div>

But I bet it sure feels good sometimes - don't it?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

My brother has an AC 700 TRV. He mostly rides it as a single. While I'm sure that we'll eventually find some tight trails where the extra wheelbase makes him back and fill, so far there is not a noticable difference in turning radius.

Jaybee

Old 01-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2 up rider?

There are 3 couples in our atv club that ride arctic cat 2up machines. They have each had multiple 2ups all cats. Last 2 I know of each had in excess of 6000 miles on them when traded in for another cat so they are not low milage machines. I have no call for a 2up & have never ridden one so can not give my impression on them.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Range Rover
Default 2 up rider?

I have a AC 2008 700 TRV and the extra wheelbase length makes its much more stable going up and down hills. I ride mostly with the seat and just added a trunk around the seat to carry all the stuff that I like to have with me. I also got the optional back rack so that I can remove the seat and put the rack on. Just need to pull two pins, remove the seat and trnk and place the back rack on and push in two pins. Back rack is very large and also has a back rest.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2 up rider?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rpstk

Greetings, I am looking to get back into ATVs after some time away and are considering a 2 up rider.

I am looking for a machine that will convert to a 1 up but will carry my wife occasionally.

My local dealer has a left over 2006 Arctic Cat TRV500 that will come with a 2 year warranty. My question is are these big long wheel base 2/up machines like driving a school bus?

I just like to cruise along and look at the scenery, not into raising hell, I'm a guy in my mid 50s. I will occasionally do a little spirited riding on a trail where visibilty is good, am concerned about the lack of a sway bar on this machine.

Any opinions?</end quote></div>

Artic Cat, Can Am and Polaris all offer 2-up atvs!
Polaris offers 2 models of 2 -up, the X2 and Touring.
The Touring is designed to be used as a 2 up most of the time and the X2 is more towards 1 up and occasional 2-up. Has a convertible pick up bed!
Check out the X2, just what you need, there are some leftovers also.
A 500 will pull anything you want with top end of 55 mph. The 800 goes faster 65-70 mph and uses twice the fuel.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2 up rider?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickCJ7

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rpstk

Any opinions?</end quote></div>

Artic Cat, Can Am and Polaris all offer 2-up atvs!

Polaris offers 2 models of 2 -up, the X2 and Touring.

The Touring is designed to be used as a 2 up most of the time and the X2 is more towards 1 up and occasional 2-up. Has a convertible pick up bed!

Check out the X2, just what you need, there are some leftovers also.

A 500 will pull anything you want with top end of 55 mph. The 800 goes faster 65-70 mph and uses twice the fuel.</end quote></div>

Twice as much fuel you must ridding a Polaris.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2 up rider?

Twice as much fuel you must ridding a Polaris.</end quote></div>

Yep and the 800 Outy I ride with always worring about fuel at the 40-50 mile mark.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2 up rider?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickCJ7

Twice as much fuel you must ridding a Polaris.</end quote></div>

Yep and the 800 Outy I ride with always worring about fuel at the 40-50 mile mark.</end quote></div>

That's because he is pulling all the popo's home.My outty usually has to pull one home then the fuel milelage will drop

Old 02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Range Rover
Default 2 up rider?

On my AC 700 TRV I have been getting around 18 to 20 mph's. Tank is supposed to be 6.5 gallons, so I should be good for about 117 to 130 miles. This has been on mountain, wood trails, some gravel roads. Trails have been wet and a little muddy at times.

Quick Reply: 2 up rider?