ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   New to the sport, Honda Forman, Honda Rancher, Polaris Sportsman 450, or Polaris Sportsman 500 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/282511-new-sport-honda-forman-honda-rancher-polaris-sportsman-450-polaris-sportsman-500-a.html)

sjbr549 02-04-2008 02:44 PM

New to the sport, Honda Forman, Honda Rancher, Polaris Sportsman 450, or Polaris Sportsman 500

any extreme terrain will need a low range.it's not uncommon to see a 6to1 low range in rock crawling. belt drives have unlimited ratios the only way to change ratios on a gear tranmission is to change the gears.with belts the clutch contracts and relaxes with engine speed so the ratio changes. with geared transmission you've got what you you've got.

caperinmuskoka 02-04-2008 10:23 PM

New to the sport, Honda Forman, Honda Rancher, Polaris Sportsman 450, or Polaris Sportsman 500

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 05 FOREMAN

I would have to say the EFI Rancher..polaris is good also but.You dont have to worry about breakin a Belt on the honda out in the middle of nowhere.My buddys 450 sportsman may be better in the real deep mudd,But its not as a good trail bike(It takes a football field to turn it around)Compared to the rancher.Test drive the 2 and youll see what i mean[IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Well I need to chime in here due to the Fact I just read Polaris Sportsman 450's are NOT good trail bikes!!!

Well I own two of them and I would not want to ride any other for a full day trip!!......football field to turn around....Come on!! the guy just wants some simple answers here .........I know you like your Honda ....WELL maybe even LOVE it!!.....But I just can't sit back and let you tell him the Polaris 450 is not a good trail machine(IRS).....I JUST CAN"T!!!!.........BTW......How is you back after a full day on the trail??..(swing arm)...Great right!!!....Caper..............

MikeM 02-08-2008 01:46 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>the army does'nt pick a machine for it's transmission.they pick it because it fits the mission role it's intended for. </end quote></div>

bullship. the army buys junk to bail out American companies or someone in procurment was paid off (or offered a job when they separate). Just look at the 880. How about the diesel GMs? Imagine the enemy coming and you have to get out quick. So you turn the key and.....a orange light on the dash says "wait"....for the glow plugs to get hot. I can provide more examples if you want.

RickCJ7 02-08-2008 03:36 PM

What a nitwit!
the military runs on diesel, even Polaris offers the military a diesel now.
That is the way a diesel operates, it has to warm a bit to fire! not a problem in hot Iraq climate! maybe Siberia.

reno82 02-08-2008 03:54 PM

I won't knock the other machines, I'm tired of the "my toy is better than yours" thinking. Each will do what you want. I chose a Polaris 500 EFI. The reason is I've been riding them for a long while and never had a problem other than high altitude carb jetting problems....cured with the EFI. The frame is very sturdy, the ride is very comfortable, it has taken me in the sierra's through rocks, snow, mud and altitudes of 11,000 feet without problems. Best bet is to try them out, give them a look under and over, and take the "my ride is better than yours" comments with a grain of salt.

sjbr549 02-09-2008 12:35 PM

bullship. the army buys junk to bail out American companies
the army bails out American companies. i guess thats why the main gun on the M1A1 Abrams is German made. the engine in the Stryker is made by Cat i have'nt heard that they was hurting for money.most of the optics come from Germany,Japan and a few other places.have'nt you figured it out that nothing is Made in America only assembled here. i did'nt want to start a my quad ia better than yours. they only made mine for two years.but for some reason if you recommend a Polaris people act like you just shot their dog or mama why is that?

zorro700 02-13-2008 12:48 PM

Most people are threatened by polaris. The first thing they throw out is "it's too heavy" wha wha wha. Which happens to be the very reason they are better for pushing, pulling and all round work.

DODGE57HEMI 02-13-2008 06:08 PM

My vote is for sportsman 500efi!