Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Artic Cat, Wolverine and Renegade

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cat, Wolverine and Renegade

I would like to start riding with me. I ride a Raptor 700 GYTR and she WANTS an Artic Cat 4x4. I'm trying to convince her into a Worverine or a Renegade. Why I'm trying to convince is well, I ride a Raptor. I've riden with those big bulky Utilitys before and the fun factor depreciates quickly for me.
I would also like to hear other sugestions. She is kinda closed minded so, a strong argument is essential. My current argument with her is " you won't be able to keep up" she tells me "slow down".
So, guys/girls lets hear it

Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What kind of riding do you usually do? If it's desert or dunes I definitely suggest a 400ex. If it is in the woods, then go with a Wolverine, eventually she will want more power and the Wolverine is easy to get parts for.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm here in the mtns on the east coast (north carolina). Mostly woods and trails. Some sand "pits".

Old 02-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

What are the reasons that she gives for wanting a 4x4 Utility?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She may not go as fast as you, even if youget the Renegade. Could also be that she wants the extra mud and wet protection that a utility bike has. If she isn't happy with the riding then she isn't going to go and you'll find yourself with an extra quad that sits in the garage. Get her what she wants and feels comfortable with. If that means that when you ride with the wife you take it a little easy, so be it. You can always ride harder on the trips when she stays home.

I just know that if your wife doesn't enjoy the ride then she'll give it up. I don't even bother trying to get my wife to ride when it's really cold or damp out - she just hates being outin in that. OTOH, she will really enjoy a ride on a nice spring or fall day.

Jaybee

Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

RENEGADE 500 OR 800 ?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

her reason for wanting the cat? She just likes them..... "I got what I like, she wants what she likes" is her exact words.

jaybeecon55: I just know her and feel if she would open up and look around she could find something that soots her better. Nothing against cats I've owned a phew snomobiles with that tag on them.

500 or 800 don't matter to me. this is for her not me.

well, the more I look at it ... (watching youtube) I think I want one )Renegade 800X) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jaybeecon55

She may not go as fast as you, even if youget the Renegade. Could also be that she wants the extra mud and wet protection that a utility bike has. If she isn't happy with the riding then she isn't going to go and you'll find yourself with an extra quad that sits in the garage. Get her what she wants and feels comfortable with. If that means that when you ride with the wife you take it a little easy, so be it. You can always ride harder on the trips when she stays home.

I just know that if your wife doesn't enjoy the ride then she'll give it up. I don't even bother trying to get my wife to ride when it's really cold or damp out - she just hates being outin in that. OTOH, she will really enjoy a ride on a nice spring or fall day.

Jaybee</end quote></div>

Well said, if she doesn't get excited about what she has to ride and feel like she has a say in it, she wont be as enthusiastic about her ride and wont be too enthusiastic about going. Question, is she a big girl, height, weight, because a Wolverine is a little cramped for larger bodies. Also FYI a Wolverine is a bouncy harsh riding machine and feels a little nose heavy. I know because I got one for my g/f, kept the quad, g/f is history, have one for the next g/f though LOL. The power will be enough to keep up in most trails until you get into the wide open areas, but it is a rough ride in rocky bumpy trails, or where there are a lot of exposed roots. Trust me on that one. Requires a lot of standing type riding, but it's very agile and can leave a little bit of a tippy sensation in tricky spots. The floorboards will probably break on something the first 100 hours too. They're pretty flimsy, otherwise, mine seems pretty tough. Not too familar with arctic cats but I personally would stick to a Yamaha, Can Am, or Honda. Polaris has the new 400 Explorer based on the Hawkeye. It's actually built smaller than full sized quads but the power is similar to my Wolverine. Tried one about a week ago. Bottom line, if you want her to be excited about riding, let her decide and feel good about her decision then she'll be more excited about going.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the wolverine myself, so I would definetly suggest if she is just starting out to get one for here.

I have been riding for umpteen years and I still get a thrill with riding the wolvy where I live.

As far as it being a harsh riding machine I have never had a problem with mine but maybe the creekbeds and rocky outcropings of Arkansas arent as bad as where kas379 is riding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But the best thing to do is get her out on all three at the dealership and have them let her ride it around the parking lot (most dealers I have ever been too will let you do that much.)

Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Trailblazer

My wife is what I call a slow rider. She just lumbers along and enjoys the woods. I bought her an Arctic Cat 650 H1. One reason I got a fantastic deal on it and the other reason is it is so comfortable to ride. The suspension travel is humongous and so is the ground clearance. It rides a lot softer than my Foreman and she likes that. It has a lot more power if want to use it and the suspension is tuneable for a more aggressive rider like myself. The drawback is they are slower to steer and are heavier. If a Cat is what she wants thats what I would get her. JMHO

Quick Reply: Artic Cat, Wolverine and Renegade