Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What's the best way to cut weight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best way to cut weight?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank
<u>There have already been bikes, motorcycles, cars, planes, and ATVs made with carbon fiber frames.</u> You just need to track down someone who has an ATV with one and ask where they got it. Anything can be made of carbon fiber if you have the budget for it.</end quote></div>

Ok, so give us just one example of a carbon fiber frame on a utility ATV. Thats like telling us if we want a real good view of the earth to just go to the moon, ... because people have already gone to the moon. I suppose there could be an ATV somewhere that had a carbon fiber frame built (never seen one personally), but can an ordinary person really do anything with that advise?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I want a link to a quad, any type, that has a carbon fibre frame. I know in mtn bikes, full carbon fibre frames only extends to xc & all mtn bikes, as it still is uncertain that the long term fatigue downhill & freeride bikes put on frames could handle carbon fibre...I would like to see an mx quad with a carbon fibre frame, I wonder that it could handle the repeated stresses...I could be wrong tho...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Krait

I want a link to a quad, any type, that has a carbon fibre frame. I know in mtn bikes, full carbon fibre frames only extends to xc & all mtn bikes, as it still is uncertain that the long term fatigue downhill & freeride bikes put on frames could handle carbon fibre...I would like to see an mx quad with a carbon fibre frame, I wonder that it could handle the repeated stresses...I could be wrong tho...</end quote></div>

Seems to work pretty good on the F-117 Stealth Fighter.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Ron

Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Pro Rider

I suppose so, however the F-117 was retired since it is too maintenance intensive, and the F-22 & F-35 have effectively replaced it. The military can afford to maintain such high tech vehicles, most fighter jets require anywhere from 10 hours to 50 hours of maintenance for every hour of flight time. Not very practical for the average person.

Also, the structural stresses and requirements of a jet fighter would be very different I imagine than a motorized offroad vehicle such as an mx quad...but I suppose it is possible to make carbon fibre frames for quads, I just think the stresses from extreme offroading would require much more maintenance/repairs/replacements than most ppl would/could do.

There are probably quads with carbon fibre frames...but I bet those are just street quads that see very little rough terrain on any sort of regular basis, if any...I doubt the OP with a 4x4 would want one of those...

Anyways...I enjoy debating technical subjects...its all in good fun...

Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<u>There have already been bikes, motorcycles, cars, planes, and ATVs made with carbon fiber frames.</u> You just need to track down someone who has an ATV with one and ask where they got it. Anything can be made of carbon fiber if you have the budget for it.</end quote></div>

Ok, so give us just one example of a carbon fiber frame on a utility ATV. Thats like telling us if we want a real good view of the earth to just go to the moon, ... because people have already gone to the moon. I suppose there could be an ATV somewhere that had a carbon fiber frame built (never seen one personally), but can an ordinary person really do anything with that advise?</end quote></div>

I didn't say anything about an ordinary person, other than myself. Did you miss the part in my first post where I said,"If money was no object..."? I read an article online about some ATVs having carbon fiber frames. I don't know who had them but according to the article several have been built. If you guys want to Google it go ahead. The same information I read is probably still out there. I don't think it just went away. If money is no object you can have an ATV made of carbon fiber, and a car made of gold for that matter, but the ATV would be relatively cheap.

And if you have enough money you can go to outerspace and see the earth. Just ask the guy who already did it and his son who's spending $30,000,000 for the same kind of trip to space. Just because you or I can't afford it doesn't mean no one can, and anyone who can afford that could buy as many carbon fiber ATVs as he wants. Just don't expect them to be at your local dealership.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:06 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a TV show yesterday that said a Koenigsegg only weighs 440 pounds because of all the carbon fiber, compared to a Ferrari that weighs over 3,100 pounds. If they can make a lightweight supercar that goes over 240 mph I think they can make a lightweight ATV too. All it takes is a big pile of money.