Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Automatic vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Low range gets used very sparingly on my BF as well. Loading it into the truck and putting around in the yard putting it away are pretty much the only time I use it. I think I used low to pull people out a couple times as well. For me, the quad is a toy, I don't really use it for work. It has the ability to be a workhorse, I just don't use it for one. It seems to have plenty of power in high in almost every situation I've been in on the trails I ride on. It feels like the engine just revs too high in low. I guess that's the way low is supposed to work but I just don't like how it sounds. It seems to be roughly a 2 to 1 gear reduction in low, I guess that's pretty typical of most machines. I limit its use to really technical, super-slow speed trails and those are very rare.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Over the years I have owned both, and found that each had there advantages. The 5 speed in a smaller ATV was very usefull in getting the power when needed and shifting was sort of fun. Then along came children and grandchildren and sometimes getting them to shift properly became a chore. Even the wife that drives a 5 speed car often complained about shifting her ATV and wanted to use my CVT drive ATV. So from then on it has been CVT all the way. When we would have small groups over, everyone wanted to ride the CVT and the 5 speed just sat there. CVT's are well designed and pretty much foolproof, however there is still some very good reasons to go with the 5 speed trannies. As mentioned before Honda seems to be having issues with their automatic transmissions but there 5 speed transmissions seem to be bullet proof, so in Honda's case I would stay away from the automatic, but the CVT is here to stay as it works well and much less expensive to manufacture.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a couple of reasons to use low on a CVT when going very slow or working hard. The clutch engages better reducing heat from slippage at low RPMs and the faster speed of the clutch spinning blows more air through the clutch cover cooling the clutch and belt off better. Heat is a belt's enemy and most belt failures are from not using low when you should. Most rides I don't have a reason to use low but when I load the quad onto my trailer I always have it in 4x4 low.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a really bad dyslexic. Plowing snow with manual shift, drives me nuts. Pushing fwd and down for Rev and heel down for 1st gear is no help. Now plowing with the Diesel, piece of cake. BTW, the Diesel has a bilge blower like a boat, inline to cool the CVT. Might be a nice option for gas ATV's that operate in hot climates.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BradW
Foot-shift or not, without a hand-operated clutch it's still an automatic as far as I'm concerned. I searched and searched for a utility quad with a manual clutch, but they just don't exist. I went with a CVT because a semi-auto equates to the hassle of shifting without the benefit of control.

Very simple solution to that is just depress the shift lever half way and you disengage the clutch just like your hand operated clutch. I rode my wifes machine like that for years, just use your shift foot as a manual clutch. If you look closely at how the auto clutch works the first 1/3 travel disengages the clutch so it will shift when the shift lever is depressed further. Just apply pressure to the shift lever and you have your manual clutch!

Old 03-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
There are a couple of reasons to use low on a CVT when going very slow or working hard. The clutch engages better reducing heat from slippage at low RPMs and the faster speed of the clutch spinning blows more air through the clutch cover cooling the clutch and belt off better. Heat is a belt's enemy and most belt failures are from not using low when you should. Most rides I don't have a reason to use low but when I load the quad onto my trailer I always have it in 4x4 low.

Especially the 4x4 part as that will keep the rear wheels from kicking out the ramps!!

Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Especially the 4x4 part as that will keep the rear wheels from kicking out the ramps!!
I have a tilt-bed trailer so no ramps but the deck is fairly smooth wood and the extra traction comes in handy. If you do have ramps they need to be secure so you don't end up like Charlie. This has been posted a lot in the last ten years but sometimes we may need a reminder.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ramps are too short, that's the biggest mistake Charlie made. I never actually ride my machine up the ramp. I stand alongside and walk it up with the throttle. If something goes wrong, I'm already clear so it won't fall on me.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

I use ramps and always 4wd so the front pulls as well as the back pushing. I have seen many guys at ride areas kick the ramps out especially with 2wd machines. My ramps hook onto the trailer but have seen them kick out with guys using 2wd and gassing it hard. When they use my trailer I require 4wd or if they have a 2wd machine then get a running start so no hard gassing it on and don't have issues that way. Not only that but mud on the ramps or trailer deck can make 4wd almost necessary.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Moto Psycho

My trailer gets slick when it rains. Without 4WD it would be an interesting experience getting loaded.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. Manual