Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which to buy?

I have found three local quads, all have which have peeked my interest. My plan is to ride mostly trails, limited time in open fields, and of course wheelies everywhere in between. Will probably see NO track time, but still want a decently quick quad (it's the man in me I guess). I know the kfx and z400 are the same beast in different clothes, but I must ask the question anyway.

Option #1

2003 Kawasaki Kfx400

Says it's completely stock except the front bumper. Also says that he hasn't really ridden it in 2 years and the carb probably needs cleaned out to run well again (what does this entail?) is it worth the risk not knowing what it will take to make run well again.. No body damage, no scratches or cracks in the plastic... and thats all the info I have received from him thus far.. Says he'll let it go for $2000

Option #2

2004 Suzuki LT-Z400

Name:  P9230559.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  141.1 KB
Name:  P9230560.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  134.6 KB

Says it's in good shape, with good tires and battery. Fresh oil oil, antifreeze, and air filter.. Only thing that concerns me is a slight spot of rust on the frame (in picture #1 if you can see it) as well as a slight bit of rust on the front of the A-arms... If it's minimal rust, is it safe to just sand it a bit and paint over it? Or should it be replaced without question (money is important, so I don't want to buy a quad and HAVE to dump a bunch of money into it). He said he'd drop the price to $2300, but I'm hoping to get him a little closer to $2000. but regardless still in the same ballpark.

Option #3

2006 Yamaha raptor 350
White/red frame
Razor tires, gytr exhaust, jet and k&n filter. plus extended warranty for another 2 years. Changed oil every 4 rides. price is $2800

Any opinion/input/thoughts are welcome. I have one that stands out in my mind, but wanted second opinions

Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Which to buy?

Wow your lucky man I would deff for go for the green 400 Kawi at $2000.00 is a steal. There are so many things you can do with these quads it make you go nuts. As far as the the rust on the white one goes it looks just like cosmetic and can be repaired with a little sand paper, paint and elbow grease! You will absoultly love this bike for many years to come.

I was looking at buying one till I fell in love with the 700R. I am still looking for a cheep 400 as a backup quad so if you dont by the green one I will. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Being a Yama guy I will be the first o tell you to go with 400 over the 350 it is not even in the same class as the 400 class bikes!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which to buy?

Skip the Raptor 350! They are just warmed over Warriors. I rode a Warrior for years, so I know this first hand....

Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which to buy?

LTZ. 1 Year newer and ready to run.
KFX. It seems like a good deal but needs work.
Both sound good to me.
Raptor. No way. It's only a 350.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which to buy?

Raptor 350-OUT
KFX 400-If it was ready to run, then I'd buy it, but I've worked with carbs before and they are a PAIN sometimes. How does he know that all you must do is clean the carb? You may end up doing a LOAD of other things in that carb.
Z 400-Ready to Run, the rust is no big. My Ozark is an 08 and I have a little rust on the A-arms already, but I drive mine the a grimy, sandy, muddy, watery, swampish swamp 5 times a week!! The Suzuki is the way to go on this one.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Which to buy?

There is some stuff out there called Sea Foam (I think) that you can run through the carb to clean it all out. You can even go to places like Bikebandit.com and buy a whole new carb for $311.66 plus shipping just depends on which way you wnt to go. Someone can even rebuild the thing, but I don't know how much that will save over a whole new unit.