Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.
View Poll Results: If you own this model, would you buy it again?
Yes, Definitely!!
0%
Heck No!
0%
Yes, Only because I like to work on these things.
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Review for JCL MAU250A ATV

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review for JCL MAU250A ATV

Because I could not find a review, or detailed objective information on the JCL MAU250A ATV, I am posting this review here so the web bots can find it for others looking to purchase this machine.
Name:  JCL-MAU250A.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  64.3 KB

I purchased this machine in Aug of 2008. While examining and testing it at the dealer. it started easliy and idled O.K. for a new engine (Shanghai Shenke Engine). I noticed that it was missing one bolt on the front rack support, and one bolt on the back rack support. The dealer replaced the bolts and two days later I picked it up. Upon getting it home, I drove it up and down the street a couple of times. I noticed that a few times the starter would not energize when the button was pushed the first time. I somewhat ignored this as it always started on the second push of the button.

For the first trip out, I took it to the deer lease near Fredrickburg, Tx. I ended up going to my buddies stand for the first mission. He has a Suzuki 4wd ATV that is very capable. Unfortunately, this trail was very rough and steep. I had a very hard time keeping up with the other machine and I had no business going there. I ended up tearing the plastic chain sprocket/rear brake rotor guard on a rock. It was hanging half way off. I knew that this guard would not last long, but I was surprised it was damaged right from the get-go. Eventually that day, the ripped half of the guard fell off on the trail and I kept it to fabricate a steel guard before the next trip to the lease.
Name:  OLD-SPRKT-GUARD.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  37.9 KB

The next trip was to my hunting area. This too was somewhat of a rough/rocky trail, but not to the extent of the first one. On the way to the stand, we had to cross a small creek that was approx. 2 ft deep. The ATV crossed it fairly easily as the creek bottom is mostly rock, not mud. When we got to the stand, I parked the ATV and went to fill the feeder. When I tried to start it to go a little further up the trail. the ATV would not start. I even tried to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, which did not work. Luckily my buddy was able to tow me the 2 miles back to the trucks.

As this was still under warranty, I took it back to the dealer and they stated that they would call when repaired. Because of Hurricane Ike, it was over two weeks before I was able to go and pick it up. Before I brought it home, the ATV started O.K.. When I got it home, the starter would not work. This time I decided to fix it myself. I dis-assembled the starter button assembly and found out that the contacts for the button were spread too far apart and there was a small nut loose inside the assembly. I removed the nut (didn't seem to go to anything) and noticed that the kill switch was sticking also. Once I fixed these problems, it started every time. I believe the kill switch was the real culprit here. Thats why I couldn't cross the solenoid terminals and ennergize the starter.
Name:  STARTER-SW.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  84.6 KB

After getting it running reliably again, I built a steel rear sprocket guard using the original plastic guard as a go-by. Once I installed the guard, it seemed to work well, but the chain was clanging. At first I thought it was the chain hitting the sprocket guard, but after further inspection, I found it was the chain hitting the tubular rear axle pivot. JCL had installed a poorly thought out plastic guard around the pivot member to keep the clanging from occuring (obviously this would make it so that you could not hear it at the dealer while test riding, but heck, once its out the door, you are on your own.). This plastic guard is held in-place by one screw that loosens up very easily. When it loosens up, it slides inboard and allows the chain to hit the pivot tubular. Once I moved the guard over and tightened it up, it stopped the noise. Eventually it loosened-up again and started clanging again. This is very irritating. I will soon find a better solution to this problem. (I just noticed today that that piece of rubber has been worn away on the bottom so the clanging will not stop)
Name:  NEW-SPRKT-GUARD1.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  100.9 KB
Name:  NEW-SPRKT-GUARD2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  97.5 KB
Name:  NEWSPRKT-GUARD.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  45.4 KB
Name:  RUB-CHN-GRD.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  33.2 KB
Name:  NEW-RUB-CHN-GRD.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  36.3 KB
Name:  RUB-CHN-GRD-VW.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  46.5 KB

The transmission on this ATV is a little rough and 1st gear is a little jumpy. Sometimes its hard to get it into 1st or reverse from a stand-still. Its not too bad though.

The ATV is water cooled, but there is no temp gauge. This worries me as you don't know if the machine is running hot, or at least you wouldnt know until its too late. I'll soon add an aftermarker gauge.

The headlights work well. It has high and low beams.

The tires are well suited for rocky terrain.

The gas tank leaks at the cap when it is near full and you are riding on rough terrain.

The Rear hydraulic brake worked well at first, but now the pedal goes to the floor without actuating the brake. I have changed and added fluid, and bled the brakes. The brake cyclinder does not develop pressure. Time to replace it.

The front drum brakes work O.K., but they would be hard to use if you are not a large adult.

There is a small rear cargo container on the back. It is secured with rubber grommets that have started to dry rot. it's just a matter of time until the straps give way.

The back and front racks seem to be fairly strong. No problems here. I have a Kolpin gun boot that is mounted on the back, and it hasn't bent it due to the rough terrain. I have mounted an 81mm ammo box on the front rack and it is holding up nicely. I can stand on the front ammo box to load 50# sack of corn into the deer feeder. I weigh 200 lbs.

there is a large nut (14mm x 1.5 ) missing from the rear axle pivot bolt. I suppose it vibrated off somewhere on the trail. Need to invest heavily in Loc-Tite.
Name:  AXEL-HINGE-NUT.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  60.2 KB

The ATV sips gas. Good on gas mileage.

Uses 15W40 oil. Cannot find this grade of oil anywhere yet. Had to put 15w50 to top off. Found this Yamalube at Yamaha dealer (go figure).

The ATV did not come with owner manual. Still waiting for JCL to post on their website <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.jclusa.com
">http://www.jclusa.com
</a>

Plastic fenders seem to be sufficient.

Would I buy this ATV again? Probably not. But I'm not running out to spend alot more on a new name brand one either. If you buy this machine, be ready to work on it. If you are not mechanically inclined, this bike will cost you alot in repairs.

****Update 30 Nov 2008*****

Engine is leaking oil from somewhere. Its all over the side of cylinder head.
Found two loose screws from vibration. Gotta keep looking at the machine for loose screws to loc-tite.
Chain is now clanging from another location. I will have to look for wear on frame from chain.
Antifreeze was found to be Blue? Never seen blue before. Still awaiting owners manual from dealer.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Review for MAU250A ATV

Nice long, detailed review! It should hopefully help out some new buyers.

Any pictures?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Review for MAU250A ATV

Thanks. I'm not really done with the review yet. I will get some photos up for reference. Just noticed last night that the 14mm nut that secures the rear axle pivot bolt has come off. I need to buy about a gallon of loc-tite for the nuts on this thing.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now with photos

Old 11-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the photos! Nice looking sprocket/brake protector you have there. It'll be nice to see how well she runs by the summer, I bet it will be fine, my Baja was.