Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I'm Seriously looking at a used KFX700

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Seriously looking at a used KFX700

I ride almost exclusivly at Glamis. I had a stroke some years ago and find shifting to be a Pain in the butt. I often times, due to lack of, feeling in my foot, mistake the shift lever for the peg. I'm 5'9-270 I currently ride an 86 TRX 250R I love that bike except its a bit small for me and as you may know there is a lot of shifting on that beast. I love the power though. Other bikes I've ridden 99 Mojave (no where near enough power) 88 Warrior (pretty good on power a little less shifting) KFX 400 All kinds of power Less shifting than the Warrior) Hard to keep the front end down) I rode a KFX 700 on a 5 minute ride and loved it!!! I didn't dune it hard though. The two things I noticed was the front came up on a flat area and I didn't realize it, the motor was way hotter over all than any other quad I have been on. Are these two things, things I can get use to? I started out with a built ATC 250R. And I had a heck of a time keeping the front end down. The KFX 400 (which I only rode one day) I just took it real slow on that after the front end came up once. Anything else besides the weight I need to be concerned about with the KFX700 including maintance?

Now the one I'm looking at the P.O. wants me to take over payments. Its an 05 with paddles, Nerfs, Pipe and a few other add-ons. The total price is $3400. I have bad credit, but I DO have a co- signer. Will it be a problem to switch over with Kawi Finance? Will they require money down from me?

Thank you very much in advance for any info on this quad, or issues I may have taking over payments.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have several buddies with the 700, so I have put in some saddle time on them. Got to say that my opinion of this machine is that it is nothing but a warmed over 2wd utility! Big and clunkey, and way to tall for for the dunes.

I would get a Rhino instead, if you must have an automatic!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the perfect quad for you.

There are different things you can do to combat the light front end.
Learn to control the throttle. The 700 has a ton of torque and needs to be controlled.
One is shift your weight.........even ever so slightly. It will help a bunch.
Another is you can put a few oz of antifreeze in your front tires.
Another is get an extended swing arm.

The last two are extreem and should not be needed at all.

The pipe is what makes the engine seem hot. A good header wrap will kill that off by about 75%.

Maintance is down because to the shaft drive. Also the sealed rear brakes are protected. A lot of people have had troubles with the tie rods bending. I have not; but yet again I don't air the thing out either. For $60 bucks or so that can be fixed.

Your a big guy and that quad is built for you; and not a little feller like some posters who's quad engine puts out the torque of a lawnmower. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You need that big torque and this engine will provide it. IMHO 34 is a good price for a great quad.

Sorry, don't know anything about the payment deal. You might have to get a bank loan though?

Good luck with your health issues and keep your blood pressure in check.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 700 Kawie sounds like a great quad for you then! They do handle and feel an awful lot like a ute, but are pretty capable and VERY buildable. If you are wanting any sort of sporty, atv type feel then Rhino=bad choice as it is taller, much heavier, higher center of gravity, and quite a bit softer in the power department. Since you are looking to give up shifting yet like the power of the R, I don't see many other models out there that will fit the bill. Kymco has the Mongoose quads that are smaller in motor/weight but I think the Kawie is a much better overall product and easier to find support for as well.