Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

CanAm Suzuki Polaris Yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CanAm Suzuki Polaris Yamaha

Hi all,

I am planning to purchase an ATV really soon. I am looking at 4 different models and wonder how to get the best possible deal? I know how to work an Auto deal really easy...and usually get great deals. However...with an ATV...that is a whole new concept.

Here is the info on the 4 ATV's that I am considering. FYI...I will NOT pay MSRP, but what is considered a GOOD deal???

I know how difficult it is to post what you paid for your ATV, so if you feel uncomfortable, then please feel free to send me a PM. I'm just trying to educate myself, so that I can feel confident when I go to purchase my ATV...that I did not get ripped off...but both the dealer and myself made a good deal.

Any...and all help is appreciated!

biz
          [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
          Extreme Pro Rider
          Mopar Man!
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much debate you can see which one I went with have not been dissapoited with my decision at all! As far as what I paid well lets just say it helps to know someone who runs a dealer! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2008, 01:11 PM
          Pro Rider

I would agree...that knowing someone who runs the dealership is a GOOD thing! However, what I am after here in this thread is...what is the best approach for buying an ATV?

Is it possible to ask to see the invoice of the ATV that you want to purchase? Then make an offer based on the that? I'm just looking for a "fair" deal when I do purchase...

Any suggestions or past experiences...would really be helpful! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

biz
          [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
          Extreme Pro Rider
          Mopar Man!

I am the wrong person to ask that question because I have allways payed at or below cost but will tell you this watch out for a dealer trying to use the atv incentives to bring the price down vs just giving you a good deal!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:46 PM
          Pro Rider

That is good advise and something to remember. That is the "old" game a lot of Auto dealers like to play.

biz

Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 AM
          Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: biz4two

Here is the info on the 4 ATV's that I am considering. FYI...I will NOT pay MSRP, but what is considered a GOOD deal???

I'm just trying to educate myself, so that I can feel confident when I go to purchase my ATV...that I did not get ripped off...but both the dealer and myself made a good deal.

Any...and all help is appreciated!

biz

[img][/img]</end quote></div>

Does anyone have any tricks or tips to offer? How about any folks that actually work at the dealerships? Any insider suggestions or tips to help me out when it comes time to pull the trigger???

Thanks,
                  biz
                  [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2008, 07:27 AM
                  DCT
                  Banned

Well, this isn't a tip, but something I came across from reading a LOT of stuff on these vary same quads... It has to do with resale value. It seems that many folks who bought Can Am's have a difficult time reselling/trading them. Don't know why, but the resale value on them is not good, and a lot of folks who have sold them take a big hit if they decide to switch or trade up... food for thought.

Anyhow, I think any of those quads is a great choice. If you are looking for features and ride quality and handling, the 850 seems hard to beat. However, if I were buying a quad "today", I would probably go with the Grizz or the KQ. If I were buying a quad say.... a year from now, it would probably be the 850. That would give Polaris time to work out any bugs... although there don't seem to be too many. Still, given a little time to perfect the new model, I think the 850 will be even better.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
                  Pro Rider

Well the best deals you'll find when you're buying an ATV are on last years models. You can get some wicked money off on those things. We got a 2006 Hawkeye 2x4 in spring 07 for $2800 brand new. The king quad, i feel, is the best deal in ATVing. Its not the best at anything, its kind of the chevy of four wheelers. But you can see them in the papers brand new at an advertised price of around $6K. If I would have been more informed when we were getting our outlander 400, we would have gotten the king quad 700 vs the outty 400. It would have been much less than $1000 dollars more.

I love our outlander, its a great machine and I'm sure the 800R is even better. But man, Can-am is just a little too pricey. They're REALLY good, but are they THAT much better? I'm not sure what a good price would be on an outty 800R since they don't have a spectacular dealer network here in MN. All I know is you will pay more.

Polaris you can get hefty discounts from. It could be there's a higher than usual level of competition here in MN because there are so many dealers, but if you can start a price war between two dealerships, just sit down and watch as your price plummets. We had three dealerships trying to outbid each other when we were getting out hawkeye and we won. Polaris usually has really good previous MY deals too.

Yamaha's are a generally good value I feel, but we don't own any so I can't contribute as much here. Just shop around and you'll be glad you did.

Hope this helps, good luck to you.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 AM
                  TLC
                  Extreme Pro Rider
                  God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

WOW are those Can AMs are still overpriced. Heres a Shoot out of one losing to the SP800

SP800 vs 800 Outlander

Could you imagine it up against the new 850 which I,m surprised is still cheaper.

I like the Suzuki and Yamaha ,for the price and they have all the features I would want.big power,diff lock,low range and IRS. They do not lack anything but a high price.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:03 PM
                  Trailblazer

You are probably looking at about 10200 out the door for the Can am.
                  I was told 9100 out the door for the 850 xp with out ps.
                  You can get a 08 griz now for 6500 out the door, or less.
                  Not sure about Suzuki. (prices in western PA)

When I was looking last spring I called around, the difference between dealers is crazy. Hundreds of dollars between them on the same machine. Usually small town dealerships have the better prices...but service might be an issue. Also something to consider that I really didn't at the time was aftermarket products avab. for each machine. You can find all kinds of products for the Can Am and the Griz. Finding an aftermarket exhaust for my Polaris was a pain in the *. Finding products for the XP probably wont be as bad....use the dealer locater on each machines web site. Call around or stop by.

Quick Reply: CanAm Suzuki Polaris Yamaha