Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Bought new ATV only to find out it has been reported stolen

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought new ATV only to find out it has been reported stolen

For all the crap we go through here in Calif., the one thing I like is that OHV's are registered with the DMV just like a car. If they don't have a pink slip....just call the cops!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have done bonded titles, purchased dirtbikes on bills of asle and have never had this happen before... and it won't ever happen again. NO TITLE, NO SALE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Last time I checked on a bonded title, for a motorcycle that didn't have a title, it was gonna be a couple a hundreds buck when it was all said and done. Now that was in Dallas county, I'm guessing you're doing this in Tarrant. But I don't see it being that much of a difference.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right, it was right around $200.00 for me back a few years ago. My ex wife works in the Tarrant County Court System and her husband is a Detective, I call to verify anything I purchase without a title(has only happened twice) and after it comes back clean, I bond it from there with a bill of sale.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

The bike I was looking at was an old vintage kawasaki. Pictures it looked perfect, and the guy had trouble trying to sell it over a couple years. Titled out of state, title was lost, blah blah blah.

By the time I found out how much it would all cost, it was half as much as he was asking. Just wasn't worth the hassle.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KQ400 is right. The ATV belongs to the ins. co of the original owner. They will auction it off if they're like my ins. co. When my last quad was recovered shortly after they paid me, I couldn't buy it back from them. It went out of state to a BIG auction.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

i go with the good old saying, posession is 9/10 of the law. if you have bike+title in hand YOU ARE THE OWNER. thats what a cop told me once. just wait a while ads see if the VIN# still comes up as a stolen bike. if it dose not sell the thing, seeing as you hopefully have title in hand.

going threw the "red-tape" to get something cleared from being a stolen vehicle is alot of hassel...but worth it if you plan on getting rid of it

Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

"i go with the good old saying, posession is 9/10 of the law. if you have bike+title in hand YOU ARE THE OWNER".

Not true--it must be LEGAL possession.

Under your reasoning, if some one broke into your home and stole both your quad and its title, they would be the owner. Do you still think they are the owner?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

What happendes if you buy a used ATV with the title, but the ATV was not paid off? How would you know the guy does not owe thousands and the Bank will not haul it away one day.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

If it was financed, the title will show the bank as the first lien holder. (in Texas)

KQ400 is right about legal ownership.

Now, if you have the title and the quad, and depending on how close to one of their agencies that can recover and store the quad, you might get them to just sell it to you.

It's an agents decision. Throw enough numbers there way on costs and time consumed to get back something they have no idea what kind of shape it's in, and you might be surprised.

Quick Reply: Bought new ATV only to find out it has been reported stolen