Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

z400-predator-400ex

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400-predator-400ex

witch one do u think is right for me .i need it for fast rocky trails and hairscrambles. so far ive alrdy owned 1 z400 and liked the power but hated the handeling and ive also owned a pritty built 400ex that i loved i just dont no if i want to spend the money building one agien cuz it takes a lot to make thoughs turds fast. im kinda leening towards a predator cuz i havent had one yet and i wanna race agien this summer without dumping tuns of money into the quad and it seems like the best option.... also i dont wanna spend the money on a 450 so these are my 3 options because there all i can get for around 2500

ide also like to know is the predato quicker then the z400?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes no sense that you like the handling of the 400ex but not the z400...... They are pretty much identical in geometry. Only the z400 has much better suspension, so it should handle better. Suzuki totally stole the 400ex design when they made the z400......so there must have been something wrong with your z400 because they handle just fine.

The Predator is much bigger then the z400 or 400ex, and handles totally different. As far as speed the Pred is faster on the top, but does not accelerate that much faster. I've run within a half-quad length of one on my z400 and he started pulling away as we hit 5th gear....I'm guessing the Pred will hit over 75......

Old 05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can agree with ss97. My z400 was very light and nimble with an okay suspension. The thing I didn't like about it was the lack of speed, even after piping it, etc. The preddy, in stock form, isn't anything to brag about. It's bottom end leaves alot to be desired. What most people don't know is once you gut the intake and pipe it, it REALLY wakes up! Now, I realize this happens to probably all other sporty's, but I would be willing to be that the preddy shows one of the highest gains from doing so. I think it has something to do with its ridiculous stock intake. Just look at it, it is dysfunctional! LOL! One thing to keep in mind, too, is that most people that talk trash about the preddy have never owned one and probably never ridden one. Take those comments with a grain of salt. Notice I didn't say anything about the 400ex. I have never owned a honda. I'm really not sure why, they have always been a solid machine. They have just never really impressed me. I do know a couple of people who are selling their 400 ex's for lack of power and they don't want to fork over the money to mod them out. They bought raptor 700's. They seem to be happy, now. Personally, I think I would have stuck with the 400's. I like the 400/500 class and am not sold on the raptors. I think everyone sees the big 700 number and thinks that it's all that. That comes with added weight and a big price. But that's a whole nother debate! Good luck with your choice.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Pred will be quicker than the Z, but if you are looking to do scrambles, there is a reason most are using 450 class machines these days. Chances are you could get a decent used 450 in your price range and have a better race platform for future seasons.
Otherwise, I would probably choose the Z since it is still in production, has great aftermarket support, and is arguably more reliable than the Pred.