Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Baddest Stock Mudder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 06:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Traxter very well could be a great mudder as well,but like the Sportsman,is very heavy,in fact,the Traxter is indeed the heaviest built ATV on the market today.Lets talk HILLS for a second.

Weight has a distinct disadvantage when climbing steep,off camber,winding,and loose packed,hills.Momentum/traction and wheel speed help to conquer the worst of these type hills.There is no comparison in wheel speed between the Sportsman and the Xplorer,Xplorer wins this catagorie hands down.

There were TIGHT,and some technical situations I had gotten the Sportsman in before,and its weight of 697lbs really bothered it.In fact,I have been in some situations where I had to get off the Sportsman and actually try and pick up the rear end of it and swing it around a bit.Talk about hernia?I knew it was time to look for a lighter and faster ATV.

The Xplorer weighs in at 588lbs.And you talk about what a FEW engine mods do to this thing?I did a airbox mod,piped it,and added GoodYear Mudrunner Tires completely around it,man,what a beast.Since I piped it,when you mash the throttle,it is harder to control the handlebars now in 4x4,you had better not be a whimp or lightweight when trying this manover with a pipe mod,it'll rip the handlebars right away from your hands.The pipe really woke up this 2 stroker.

Kawisaki will soon have a 650cc twin cyclinder 4x4 on the market with a locker,I cant wait to see this thing in action,in fact,one guy in my riding group is talking about buying one,so I thought I'd better be ready for him,thats one of the reasons for the mods,
Bill

Old 02-24-2001, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see the Xplorer have shaft drive.I hit the top of the rocks on the trail as it is I just think I would smash up that low hanging rear chain sprocket off in no time.I know they want chain drive for less power lose but would shaft drive slow down the Xplorer that much to notice?

Old 02-24-2001, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I'll seriously consider the explorer 400. The two main drawbacks I have with it were mentioned here; chain drive and a two stroke engine. Both of those things make me leary to but one. I'm one of those lazy guys who wants to ride without doing a lot of maintenance. I've heard from many that it is about the best you can get in front wheel speed and true 4-wheel drive.

Old 02-25-2001, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

Tim,
I to have wondered about shaft drive for the rear of the Xplorer?Polaris,WAKE UP!

On the good side though,Polaris did replace my chain/sprockets for FREE.
Bill

Old 02-25-2001, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

BUll!!!!! they say kawasaki doesn't have true 4x4 i was in the mud over the wheels and they all were spinning like crazy

Old 02-26-2001, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bill,
You mentioned weight as being a disadvantage. In other machines that may be true but in the traxter the weight is very low in the frame making it the most stable atv i've ever ridden in hill climbs and especially off cambers. It is much more stable than my xplorer was. As for a shaft on the xplorer i don't agree. I believe polaris is keeping the chain for cost reasons. Also you would lose about 2 inches of travel with a shaft. The xplorer 400 in my opinion is the most capable 4wd you can buy for under $5500. Polaris doesn't want to price it up there with the magnum and xpedition. That would just be more competition between its own models.

Old 02-26-2001, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

You may spin all 4 on the level but kawasaki uses a limited slip front diff. Try coming out of a mudhole with one front wheel off the ground. When the wheel in the air is the only front wheel spinning you'll see what they mean by true 4wd.

Old 02-26-2001, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

Traxterick,
makes good sense to me!I have never road a Traxter,but your explanination of the weight makes good sense,seems like Bomb put the weight where it would benifit the Trax for hill climbing,but that extra weight does not help when you need to get off it and pick up the rear end for whatever reason.

And you are correct,NO stock Kawi yet has a true 4x4.The new 650 4x4 is suppose to,we will see?
Bill

Old 02-26-2001, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

From my experience the 400 Xplorer is definitely at the top or close to it. I have owned both the Sportman 500 and the Xplorer 400. The Sportman is a bit heavier and slower and can be harder to manuever. Here's the problem, you can get a 4 wheeler for any variable like mud, sand, hills, rocks, dirt etc. and for any purpose say trail riding, hunting, racing, work. I have done all with my Xplorer. Its a wolf dressed in sheeps clothing. The Polaris 4 wheel drive system is in my opinion un-matched. When you get stuck all 4 wheels are pulling not 3 0r 2...one in front and one in back isnt nearly as good as all 4 tires pulling hard and fast like a 400 Xplorers. Also, the 400 explorer in my opinion is best all around for everything. Its fast, 4 wheel drive, rides comfortable on long rides, I've even catch air with it on every ride! :-) Anyway, I hope that helps.

Old 02-26-2001, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer

The chain drive has is positives as well. The drive system on the 2000 Xplorer is concentric. The front of the Xplorer 4 wheel drive system is Axle driven! Which is neat! The maintenance on a 2 stroke is suppose to be higher but that hasnt been my experience. My 500 Sportsman 4 stroke was back in the shop a week after I bought it and I have had my Xplorer nearly a year now with just minimal maintenance. I had to tighten the chain up twice which was simple to do 15 minute job and I put in a couple spark plugs 5 minutes...thats what they are talking about when they say more maintenance. Its worth it to me because the ATV does it all.

Quick Reply: Baddest Stock Mudder?