Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What sport quad ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sport quad ??

Since I can no longer ride my hayabusa due to my back problems I am looking into getting a sport quad. Hopefully someone can help me choose one.

I would be using this quad for trail riding and to race around with. Maybe some jumping once my back gets a bit better. My friend has a Yamaha 230 dirt bike all stock. I would like to be able to stick with him or even beat him.

Comfort would be a plus also.If its something that can be changed aftermarket wise that would be fine. I am 6' tall and about 180.

I would probably just trade my busa for one or just sell it and buy one. Either way I need something to play with . Hope the info I gave will help.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a 450 would be best....

My Suzuki LTR450 keeps up with my friend's bikes. One has a Yamaha WR250 (or something like that, not a YZ250 but something else) and the other a KTM 250SX-F... I can keep up with them, if not pass them when riding, when in a flat out drag race they will usually beat me by a little bit.

I am 6'2 and about 200, and I have no problems on my LTR450. I put some mid bend bars on it and a Trail tech clamp (raises it about 1") and I am really comfortable. Stock my back started hurting, but with aftermarket stuff it's GREAT.

Also the fact that it's 50" wide mean that its really stable. Also it handles the jumps great at my friends MX track in his backyard.

For 450's, just about every manufacturer has one.

Suzuki - 50"s wide, EFI, a $30 Yoshimura Cherry Bomb in addition to removing the exhaust baffle and the air filter cover gives you +7hp. (LTR450)

Kawasaki - Only 450 with Reverse, I think it has EFI. (KFX450)

Yamaha - 2 450s, 1 is carburated, the other is 50 inches wide and has EFI (carb is YFZ450, EFI is YFZ450R). I've read some bad things about the YFZ405R though.

Honda - carburated, update is coming soon (TRX450)

Can-Am - 3 models, all are EFI. 1 is the "standard" version, then they have an XC version and an MX versoin (50 inches wide). (Standard - DS450, XC - DS450X XC, MX - DS450X MX).

KTM - Race ready quads, expensive, parts are expensive. Multiple models.

IMO you can't go wrong with either (though if I had the choice I wouldn't get the Honda).

Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

In my opinion you can't got wrong with a Suzuki or Kawasaki. I've always heard of more issues with yamaha, and Honda always seems to be a step behind with their new model features. I would definitely get something with reverse.

My friend and I bought our quads at the same time. He got the Suzuki LTZ400 and I got the arctic Cat. He's 6'3" 275'ish and stock, the Suzuki moved his azz around no problem. A 450 should work out just fine. Plus you can always add mods for more power. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hah I am always wishing for reverse on my LTR! Whenever I need to get off and pull it out or around I just think dang I wish my bike had reverse... but you get used to it and after a while it's not too bad.

Oh and quite a few guys on the LTR450HQ also ride GSXR's and 'Busa's, so you'd fit right in 24K! lol

Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a bad back is keeping you from riding the streetbike, I think you may be unhappy riding a sport quad as well... they really tend to beat you up at slower speeds. To me, I would think the Polaris Outlaw 525IRS is probably right up your alley though. All of the speed of a 450 delivered with a plusher ride. Other than that, you really can't go wrong with any of the major 450s. The Zuk is a great ride, and I will disagree with the above poster on Yamaha. That motor is legendary, and mine has been dead reliable even after tons of mx time and 2 xc race seasons now just about under her belt. Still, your back might appreciate the plusher ride of the IRS Polaris, or even possibly the Honda 700xx or Yamaha Raptor 700.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooter86
If a bad back is keeping you from riding the streetbike, I think you may be unhappy riding a sport quad as well... they really tend to beat you up at slower speeds. To me, I would think the Polaris Outlaw 525IRS is probably right up your alley though. All of the speed of a 450 delivered with a plusher ride. Other than that, you really can't go wrong with any of the major 450s. The Zuk is a great ride, and I will disagree with the above poster on Yamaha. That motor is legendary, and mine has been dead reliable even after tons of mx time and 2 xc race seasons now just about under her belt. Still, your back might appreciate the plusher ride of the IRS Polaris, or even possibly the Honda 700xx or Yamaha Raptor 700.
Yeah this is a good point.... If you back is that bad a 450 race quad might not be the best idea..... They are very fast, pull very hard, and require a certain type of riding aggression.

But that also depends on where you ride..... If you are in the dunes a 450cc will be OK since the softer surface won't kill your back on a 450. But if you are a trail rider, or East coast rider, something like a z400 or Raptor 700 would maybe be a better option...

If the back is that bad, something IRS like the Outlaw 525irs or Honda 700xx might be the best option to keep you riding longer.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

If you want pure screaming performance and you ride fast open trails or wide open country, then the 450's are the hot ticket. They will also have the highest quality stock suspension, although those tuned for motocross will be on the harsh side (thinking about your back here!).

All the 450's have high strung "thumper" engines that need frequent maintenance: http://www.belray.com/scripts/future...6-e27066d0d02a

I ride my 450 screaming fast in the open desert, so I picked the Honda which has been the king of desert racing for many years. If I were to do a lot of "play" riding (jumping, informal MX), I would pick the Yamaha. None of the 450's make good tight trail quads, because these engines do not like to be ridden lugged down!

For "trail" riding, the Honda 400EX, Suzuki Z400, and Yamaha Raptor 700 are the way to go. They have more traditional engine design, and will lug down better than the 450's. Maintenance is not as intense as with the 450's.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger
They will also have the highest quality stock suspension, although those tuned for motocross will be on the harsh side.
I'm pretty sure most 450's however have fully adjustable suspensions. My LTR450 does, the Can Ams do, and I'm pretty sure the YFZ450R and Honda do also.

When I first was riding my LTR450, I found that the suspension beat me up quite a bit. After spending close to an hour fine-tuning the suspension, I am more than comfortable on my LTR450 after a day of trail riding or messing around. I don't have back problems, so I can't say for sure how good much 24k could adjust the suspension to be comfortable, however I know I can make my current settings (fairly plush) mush plusher if necessary. I'm sure it's the same on all of the other 450s with adjustable suspension.

On the other hand, I don't think the Z400 has adjustable suspension, same with the 400ex. I think the Raptor 700 does however.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

All the sport quads that are above "entry level", have adjustable suspension. That is NOT what I am refering to. The MX tuned models will come stock with STIFFER SPRINGS, because they are expecting you to be taking big hits....not just cruising around on cush trails. Not the best thing for a guy with back trouble!!!

One can certainly change out the springs on any of them however. Some places will respring and revalve them for you (like WorksPerformance), or if you want to go all out you can get a totally new setup...for a price.

The Honda 700XX got mentioned. It is IRS so it will give you a smoother ride in rocky stuff or badly rutted trails, but everywhere else the extra weight the IRS carries with it is just going to be a negative. We are talking 500+ pounds for the XX, vs ~350 pounds for the 450's.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the great info. I will be looking into all these quads. My brother was telling me to go for a raptor 700. I will be riding at a place call Croom here in Florida if any of you have been what kinda quad is good for that. It may seem like i might need to get 2 quads. My back mainly hurts from leaning forward on the bike. I can ride but not for long. I have no problems when i ride my jet ski and i jump waves with that all day long. Plus my seat isn't all that great on my bike.

Quick Reply: What sport quad ??