Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What do I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I look for?

I'm new to this site and to the ATV world in general. I have never owned one before. I'm starting to look at used utility type machines and need some advice. I found a Honda Fourtrax 300 at a local dealer. It looks clean but beyond looks what should a rookie like me look at or ask as i go visit the dealer.

A couple of specific questions I do have are how many miles/hours are too many on a machine? Is a belt type transmission better that a gear type? Is this a good machine even if it is 10 years old? I'll be using it for just knocking around and while getting ready for hunting hauling stands and dragging deer out of the field.

Any advice will be appreciated. Here is the link to the machine.

Honda 1999 FourTrax 300 4X4

Thanks

Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without knowing a whole lot about this particular machine I can still hopefully give you some welcomed advice. Buying a used ATV is not much different than buy in a used car. Do your basic check first would be to do a basic look over of the machine. If the plastics is all scratched/beat up you know it has been ridden hard and a further much more detailed look at the machine is required. See what the tires look like. Pull the dipstick and look/smell the oil. Does the oil smell like gassoline? Basical use common sense and you will figure it out for yourself. A atv is basicaly nothing more than a simplified car/vehicle. Do your reserch and it will help you with your purchase! The good news is you are looking at a Honda therefore the motor will probobly phisicaly outlast the bike itself. Here is some reviews of this paticalr model you are looking at to help you with your purchase!
Vehicle Reviews for 1999 Honda TRX300
Good luck! Lets us know what you decide.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 300 is a venerable old machine, but its day has come and gone. It was replaced by the Rancher 350 in 00, and then in 07 by the Rancher 420.

I would definitely pass up the old 300 for a Rancher 350. Should be a bunch of inexpensive used ones out there. The 350 got many improvements like a torque sensing front diff (vs a useless open one), transverse mounted engine, more displacement, etc. Both are full-time 4wd, and need a Warn 424 to turn them into selectable 2wd/4wd!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know at my local honda dealer, whenever anyone comes in looking to upgrade their machine, they havent traded in their current trx 300 in years (thats what they told me when i went to get my rubicon). if you are wondering about the machine in general, the reviews dont lie in the link above. before the rancher line replaced the 300 line, the trx 300 was the highest-selling atv in the world (now the rancher is). it, along with the foreman, are the foundation of which honda's bulletproof durability and reliability reputation is built. of course, with any used atv, go through the machine thoroughly yourself as stated above. good luck with your decision!