Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

honda vs polaris

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda vs polaris

im looking at buy either a honda foreman 500 4x4 or a polaris sportsman 500 4x4 not sure what year 2009/2010 which ever is better. i do alot of mudding and go through water most of the timme when i ride so i was wondering which one wouls be more reliable to buy the polaris is about $1000 less but i have heard some problems with them. let me know wgat yall think

Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride desert, so I am no expert on which would do better in mud....

The Honda is a manual trans machine, with a great track record for durability/reliability. It has an ultra low 1st gear, making a low range transfer case unnecessary. It is best suited for those who want to do 90% work and 10% trail riding.

My buddy has a Sportsman 500, and I just absolutely hate the ergonomics! It feels tall, seriously unstable and tippy compared to my Honda Rancher. I ride circles around him in nasty technical terrain! I'm no fan of belt drives either. Seems like he needs to stop at the base of every major hill and get into low case....while I just scurry up to the top and wait for him!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The Honda is in most situations a little more reliable than a Polaris. The Polaris is taller which translates to a higher air intake and deeper fording abilities. I've gone headlight deep without a problem many times. In mud it depends what kind of mud you have. Thick stuff that you can skim on top of or thinner stuff where you need to get to the bottom of the mudhole. The Honda is lighter and will stay on top better. The Polaris is heavier and will get down to the harder surface better. The Honda is more nimble, but the Polaris has better ground clearance. Straight axles are generally better in powerslides. If you are going to be going over downed trees and rocks the independent suspension will keep more rubber on the ground than a straight axle. I've got a straight axle Polaris ATP and an IRS Sportsman X2. The IRS is tons better in ride comfort than any straight axle machine I've been on. Hope this helps. If you can test drive both of them give them a ride and see what you think. They are different approaches to the world of ATVing.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The only other thing that I could think of is that the Honda has a limited slip front end while the Polaris is a full locking front end. That little difference has been enough that I got out of a mudhole while another guy didn't quite make it and needed a yank. But, we're only talking about the last 4-5 ft. of a 50 ft. long, 2.5 ft. deep water/mudhole.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

the polaris is best for you. the 2 machines really are not that comparable. the polaris has IRS, a locking diff, and will have more power. for mudding, you want the IRS for the ground clearance and the locking diff for traction. just dont take the machine too deep in water so you dont get the belt wet. i've seen a polaris float but when we got it out, the belt was wet. that was the only time i've seen a polaris belt get wet

Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

ride desert, so I am no expert on which would do better in mud....
My money is the one with true awd , higher ground clearance and 10 extra horse power.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

is there anyway to keep the belt from getting wet like seal it

Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

and what about the 420 rancher is that a good bike

Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by mudbogger19
is there anyway to keep the belt from getting wet like seal it

Dont go into water over your belt intake. Even if your in water that deep and on a non belt drive ATV the motors air box intake will suck in the water and your just as dead in the water anyways.

The intakes on a 500 sportsman is higher then the intakes on a Foreman and much higher then the lower Rancher. Taller ATVs do have there advantages.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

well i was going to put a snorkel on it anyways cause that how i messed my last bike up by not having one

Quick Reply: honda vs polaris