Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need offer advice. PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need offer advice. PLEASE

Some family friends have a 2005 trx450r that was their sons. Unfortunatly he got into a little trouble with the law, and needless to say, has no need for the bike anymore. I looked at it about 8 months ago and would not pay the $3000 his parents wanted. The bike needs 4 tires asap, the front headlight is busted, and i think the steering stem is partially bent (something is definitely off). He happened to make solid contact with a guardrail in 4th or 5th, and it just about killed him. The bike was always maintenenced regularly, and has a set of ac nerfs. The bike does start on the 1st or 2nd kick everytime and was barely offroad. There is barely a scratch on the frame. What do you think would be a decent price to offer them now?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

If the stem is bent that is $200 easy plus your time. But I would bet an impact like that did not stop with the stem. I would check the A-arms (and frame mounts very close). That being said it you are buying to ride the trails a little tweek will not hurt much, but if you plan on winding it out those little tweeks can do weird things. Tires are expected on any used quad so that is not something uncommon.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

so any idea what you would offer?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I would start at the $3000.00 or even $2500.00 and go from there.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default advice

Let's think about this...
A five year old ATV (2005), Lots of Power (450), Racing design (trx), Ridden by a wild spirit (in jail), Had an accident and now has problems... and you want to buy this machine?

Sit down on the computer and go to auto traders.com.
Somewhere there is an accountant that thought he would enjoy riding last year and discovered that he doesn't have the time for it and his back can't take the beating. Now the ATV is being sold off with 50 miles on it. LOOK for that ATV!

Stay away from this local problem child that you have been looking at.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer

never buy anything that the law has had problems with, it make it your problem

Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by wydglide
never buy anything that the law has had problems with, it make it your problem
The law only had problems with the old friend, the guard rail is the only one that had a problem with the bike.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look it up on Blue Book. If the engine is in good running order, I would pick middle book as a fair place to start, then dicount that for all the parts and tires and whatever you will need to replace.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger
Look it up on Blue Book. If the engine is in good running order, I would pick middle book as a fair place to start, then dicount that for all the parts and tires and whatever you will need to replace.
I would go ahead and add the a arm assembly on the side that took the hit to the parts list. Realistically, if it hasn't been rebuilt I would discount for that as well.
They should have took the 3K before.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

If it needs tires, a headlight is busted and stering post is bent, I wouldn't say it was maintained very well. If that was stuff was broke on mine, i would fix it. Look up the book price and offer 1000.00 less than book value. Nada book values are what dealers go by, and seem to be lower than kelly blue book.

Quick Reply: Need offer advice. PLEASE