Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying A Snow Plowing Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying A Snow Plowing Quad?

Yes i know i have another couple months to look for a good snow plowing quad, but i have no idea where to start... The sole purpose for my purchase is to plow, not much trail riding but i do want something reliable.

Sadly the budget isn't very high maybe around 1800 or less, what i'm trying to look for is the cheapest quad that isn't going to break down on me, the year of the quad is really no big deal....

Any suggestions on the quad, plow, winch?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

For reliability I would look at something Japanese tho any bike in a size of 400 or larger will work. The heavier/bigger the bike is a big help as well!

Welcome to the forums!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I think that with your budget you're going to have to do some wrenching at some point. $1800 is on the low side to buy a 4x4 which is a must depending on how much snow you'll be plowing. I suppose if you only get 3 inches of light fluffy snow you could do it with a 2wd, but beyond that... For your money you're probably talking about a 300cc or smaller 4x4 that is more than 10 years old. That would be watching your local Craigslist and eBay everyday. You might be able to find on old Suzuki King Quad 4x4 300. It had a hi, low, and granny low gear box. I believe it was a semi-automatic clutch where you use your foot to shift but don't use a clutch. There may be some Honda Ranchers or Foremans out there but Hondas have a pretty high resale. I don't know how far back those models go. The Polaris of the pre-2000 era aren't as good a machine as they are now in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friend bought the snow blower option and put it on his 500 Sportsman which is a large heavy ATV and it still made the rear wheels lift off because of the blowers weight. He sold the ATV blower and now uses a blower on a garden/lawn tractor which works better.

You better off to plow with a ATV.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

An older Suzuki Eiger 400 (376cc) would fit your requirements. Eigers have a solid rear axle (better for plowing I'm told), and have a reputation for toughness. The engine is air/oil cooled--and cold blooded until you remove the plug covering the mixture screw and richen the mixture. Doing so will significantly shorten the warm-up time.
I have a 2008 King Quad 400, which is the Eiger with new, KQ style plastic, and can attest to its plowing ability--besides trail riding, mine is the neighborhood plow machine.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Sorry , Thought you said "Good Sno Blowing" ATV. LOL

I have seen 2wd 300 ATV with rear chains plow OK.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I think that with your budget you're going to have to do some wrenching at some point. $1800 is on the low side to buy a 4x4 which is a must depending on how much snow you'll be plowing. I suppose if you only get 3 inches of light fluffy snow you could do it with a 2wd, but beyond that... For your money you're probably talking about a 300cc or smaller 4x4 that is more than 10 years old. That would be watching your local Craigslist and eBay everyday. You might be able to find on old Suzuki King Quad 4x4 300. It had a hi, low, and granny low gear box. I believe it was a semi-automatic clutch where you use your foot to shift but don't use a clutch. There may be some Honda Ranchers or Foremans out there but Hondas have a pretty high resale. I don't know how far back those models go. The Polaris of the pre-2000 era aren't as good a machine as they are now in my opinion.

i second this. the older king quad 300 4x4's are the definition of a pure utility quad. my dad's 95 kq300 tops out at like 35 mph, but the 3-range subtransmission and 2wd - 4wd - diff lock provide 35 forward gear combinations. they have a gear rear drive....the rear axles literally come right out of the engine. they even had independent rear suspension, albeit single a-arm design. that or an old foreman 400 are about the most basic, pure utility atv's you're gonna find. they would work well for plowing if you weigh them down, and should be in your price range if you can find them in your area. check out craigslist, they have alot of atv's on there under the rv section. good luck!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone, gave me a good idea of where to start looking and thanks for the welcome.