Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

400's or 450's???!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 400's or 450's???!?!

I wanna buy a new quad. I will trail ride it a lot but i might wanna race it every now and then. The trails I ride are bumpy and have a lot of whoops but also some straight aways. So I want to know what i should get.

I like the 2009 LTZ 400 because it is fuel injected and it looks really nice
But I really like the LTR 450 and TRX 450 as well.
And what about raptors like the 700 or no?

Would the 450s be bad on the trails because they are so low or what should i do?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Best trail quad will be the Raptor 700 or the Z400 much better low end torq with reverse for trail riding with ALLOT less maint compared to any 450. 450 were designed for track use and tho you can use them for trail riding the 700 and 400 class quads are much better suited with a much better torque cure for trail riding!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

By the way welcome to the forum!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Allright, you are really going to have to do some soul searching on this one. For pretty much any type of racing I would choose a 450. More maintenance sure, but there is a reward in handling, suspension, and power stock or modified. If you are looking to ride recreationally 85% of the time, and just play around on an mx track the rest or hit up an xc event once or twice a year, any of those will do. A few years ago a lot of the guys I rode with had 700 raptors. I have a decent amount of seat time on them and they are a great trail mount. Unfortunately for those guys, they mostly played on mx stuff, and they all wanted a 450 after riding mine. Now many of them are on dirtbikes or 450 racers. Bottomline is they are all fun, a Z or 700R will be a hoot for the occasional race/track day. The 450s can all be trail ridden as well, but they do prefer a more spirited pace.

Ground clearance is similar on all of these. You need to buy a good set of skids anyway so that should be a non factor.

For the record, i feel the TRX 450 is the least desireable of the 450s these days. They have a good motor but just need to much other stuff where the Zuk and Yammies are spec'd much better from the factory.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

Alright thanks so much guys. Yea I really like the 2009 Z400 and 700 Raptor just I will try to find a 450 to play on to see if I will like the whole racing experience.

Thanks a lot guys.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a nice never ridden LTZ 400 for sale.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/clas...ki-ltz400.html

Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by SterlingAbasciano
I wanna buy a new quad. I will trail ride it a lot but i might wanna race it every now and then. The trails I ride are bumpy and have a lot of whoops but also some straight aways. So I want to know what i should get.

I like the 2009 LTZ 400 because it is fuel injected and it looks really nice
But I really like the LTR 450 and TRX 450 as well.
And what about raptors like the 700 or no?

Would the 450s be bad on the trails because they are so low or what should i do?
I have the Suzuki LTR450, I changed out the tires for ground clearance and put in a skid plate..I ride mine in the Desert sand and in the rocks It has never let me down yet. The 450 is a high strung engine but if your lookin g=for speed it is a speed demon.

What type of racing are you thinking about?

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Best trail quad will be the Raptor 700 or the Z400 much better low end torq with reverse for trail riding with ALLOT less maint compared to any 450. 450 were designed for track use and tho you can use them for trail riding the 700 and 400 class quads are much better suited with a much better torque cure for trail riding!
Great post and 100% true!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

I was thinking just normal like moto

Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Sand Hog
I have the Suzuki LTR450, I changed out the tires for ground clearance and put in a skid plate..I ride mine in the Desert sand and in the rocks It has never let me down yet. The 450 is a high strung engine but if your lookin g=for speed it is a speed demon.

What type of racing are you thinking about?
I ride the desert and the 450 works really well out here. Yup everyone is right my quad is made for racing and it comes set up low to the ground for Moto track racing. I had to do some expensive modifications to trail ride the Desert. I modified my quad for desert endurance racing and I'm here to tell ya it ain't cheap.

There are tons of race quality quads out there to give you your adrenalin fix on the trails; however, you just have to settle on the quad that will give you the most bang for your buck, and then justify how much your going to spend initially to buy the quad on how much your actually going to ride the quad. Now you need to take a hard look at just how much you want to spend for the modifications to really make it race ready. Racing is not much of a "Shade Tree" owner operator user friendly operation any more.

Suggest if your thinking about hitting a race track to get hold of the AMA first and get the modification requirements and the list of the manditoiry equipment that needs to be added and the modification requirements to the machine for the type of racing you want to do it may pull you up short with the ends not justifing the means.