Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001 | 09:58 PM
|
Trailblazer

What do I need to really look at when buying a used ATV? Besides the overall appearance?

Old 03-07-2001 | 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went to every dealer in town, walked right past the salesmen and went to the service dept. Talk to the people who work on them, they will tell you what not to buy.

Old 03-07-2001 | 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Check the air filter, have a friend lift the rear and spin the axle to see if it's bent, grab rear wheel and shake from side to side while looking and hearing for lose bearings on the axle and swingarm pivot. Wiggle front wheels side to side and look for play on the A arm mounts. Does it start easy? Look for missing bolts. Get a compression tester and do one w/ the throttle held open. Check all shocks for grime, if you see any, they're blown. How's the sprockets and chain?Look for gunk around motor. Is the frame cracked or swingarm? If it looks neglected IT IS!!!! It will need work! Bargain on the price.

Old 03-19-2001 | 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, now that was some HELPFUL iformation. I am going to look at a new quad tomorrow and I will check all of those things!!

Old 03-22-2001 | 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Don't forget to check the front wheel bearings, and check for oil leaks. It might be as minor as a $10 seal, or as seroius as a cracked housing. Most machines with drum breaks have an arrow that shows how much pad life is left, if disk, try to see them, also.

Old 03-22-2001 | 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Don't forget to look over the owner as well and ask why he/she is selling it. Does his/her answer make sense? Do they have a title? Are they the original owner? Who does the periodic maintenance? Can they tell you where the oil and air filters are located? Who rides it most often and are they shaving yet?