Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Complete Newb - Buying an ATV for snow plowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Newb - Buying an ATV for snow plowing

Hello I was searching for an active forum like this for a while now since I couldn't find any good information and needed help.

I live in Canada Ontario in the GTA and wanted to buy an ATV for the purpose of nothing except plowing snow, I wouldn't be racing it etc. However I have no idea what I should be looking for so I hope someone can help me out, my budget isn't very high so I don't mind if I have to go out looking for used ones however what specs I should be looking at would be a nice start if someone could help me there (cc, average price, plow, if I should buy it with a plow or attach it myself afterwards etc). The driveway is a rather large one for a small motel and has about 10 parking spaces in total if that helps to visualize the size I'd be plowing.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Considerations

I have used my quad to plow the past two winters...having that small experience I would ask a few questions. How much snow fall do you usually get at one shot? Do you have adequate storage space for it in the offseason?

Now my suggestions...For the most part plows come in 50 inch or 60 inch...obviously the bigger the plow the bigger the quad you need. I use a 50 inch with my 400 CC quad and I would say that is about right. I only ever see about six inches of snow at a fall. My dad has a grizz 700 and has a 60 inch plow. If you are plowing a deep snowfall at once I would go with the narrower plow just because of the fact that you are going to be pushing less weight with the smaller plow. (Snow two feet deep and a sixty inch wide plow is a big pile to push) Anyhow when you start looking you will want something that is four wheel drive, AT LEAST 400 CC, and with a winch. Whether you put the plow on later or buy it with the quad is up to you...I would look around and post back with specific machine questions. Good Luck with your choice! Having a plow gives you a good excuse to play in the snow.
Mudslinger2

Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply! The snowfall has been incredibly variable for the past two years here, last winter we didn't get much and this winter is the same, but when we do get it, it comes in large amounts at once.

I guess my next question would be where to look to buy them and how hard it would be to attach a plow to the ATV myself (I think buying a universal one separately is probably a cheaper option). I haven't done too much looking into it due to exams and such but the few websites I found that had displays of what they sell had 125-200 cc ATVs which sounds like it would be way too underpowered.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plow with a 500 but I heard that even a 350 will work (but not as good). Just get a good brand name 4x4 400-500 and you'll be okay. I also use a winch to raise and lower the blade.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Default Craigslist

I would watch Craigslist for the quad and then order online. I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV...you choose what quad you've got and then they send you the mount that fits that specific machine. It is possible to buy an old plow from a lawn tractor and modify it to fit your quad if you are really concerned about dollars!
Mudslinger2

Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ah I see I've been keeping up with Kijijii and Craigslist but haven't found anything great with a plow, but I may look into buying it separately. Do you have any suggestions on what ATVs to look into?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

All u ppl are gunna laugh and i dont reccomend trying my methoed ...230cc with a pice of plywood but i was puching 14inches! But i reccomend using my friends system 550 sportsman good lighting a 50 inch plow stock tires with snow chains and he was puching the full 36 inches we got

Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a 03 400 4x4 auto. i have a 50 inch plow it works great lots of power.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Default Quad

Originally Posted by Trigoon
Ah I see I've been keeping up with Kijijii and Craigslist but haven't found anything great with a plow, but I may look into buying it separately. Do you have any suggestions on what ATVs to look into?
I would look for anything with at least 400 cc and 4 wheel drive. I would make sure that you get something that is utility...stay away from the sport utility (wolverines) for pushing snow. I have two yamahas and have had good luck with them so that would be my suggestion. I really don't know what money we are talking as far as what year or what size. Good Luck with your decision.
Mudslinger2

Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 What he ^ said. Something that has a low gear is better too. And you can throw a couple of sand bags on the rear rack for traction. That's one reason to get a utility quad with big racks.

Quick Reply: Complete Newb - Buying an ATV for snow plowing