Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

wanting to buy a good atv

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting to buy a good atv

i have been trying to get an atv for the last few years and my dad said we could finally get one. i found a polaris sportsman touring 800 efi 2x...but some mechanic guy said not to buy polaris?? i have driven polaris, honda, and yamaha and i personally like the polaris...but what is the best 4x4 atv for around the house work, trail riding, and mudding?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know that there is a "best" at everything quad. Polaris tend to be the nicest riding quads. The Sportsman X2 is probably the most versatile quad out there for work. Has a dump box in the rear that converts to a second passenger seat. Had one before the Can-Am Outlander I own now and it was a very good quad. Took somewhere around 3600 hard, nasty New England miles. It could carry 400 lbs. in the rear box. No other quad is rated that high. With a good set of tires, most any 4wd will do well in the mud. You need the power to spin the tires so the treads clear and the clearance to get through rutted areas in the bottom of mudholes. The only one I wouldn't recommend for deep mud is the Hondas. They lack a way to lock in the front tires. Only has a limited slip up front. I've been in a few holes where that little extra bit of traction has pulled me through. Not a huge issue but something to think about. If you want the most work oriented ATV that is still quad width get the Polaris Big Boss 800 6x6. 800 lb. rated rear dumpbox with 6 wheel drive. Can't think of another ATV with that kind of ability.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Range Rover

so the best overall atv would be a polaris then?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Like Moose said, there's really no one best quad. If you can, ride a few different models. See what you find comfortable and will meet the needs you're looking for.

Curious about the mechanic. Does he work on atv's at all?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Range Rover

yeah, he works at a shop... he said that he gets them all the time with different problems

Old 09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Just about every major branded model out there today is a quality machine. Maintenance is a huge factor in how well they're perform and last.

Whatever brand you decide on, one of the first purchases afterwards should be a service manual so you can do your own work on the machine.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Range Rover

thanks, dad is starting to lean towards the honda side... the main thing ill be doing is trail riding with friends and just having fun, any recommendation?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bbradford
thanks, dad is starting to lean towards the honda side... the main thing ill be doing is trail riding with friends and just having fun, any recommendation?
If friends are riding 500 class machines, get a Can-Am Outlander or Renegade 500. You'll beat them every time. Renegade is sporty, but still has 4wd.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Range Rover

ok, thanks for the help!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

got a call from a polaris dealership and talked to dad about it and he is calling back tomorrow and we might possibly be owners of a brand new 2012 polaris sportsman 500 ho le orange madness!!!

Quick Reply: wanting to buy a good atv