Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying New ATV This Week!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying New ATV This Week!!

I am planning on buying a new atv this week and I already got approved for my loan and everything but am having second thoughts. I was all set to buy Honda 2013 FourTrax® Rancher® 4x4 ES with EPS (TRX®420FPE) but my wife was not planning on getting one right away and wants to get the backrest cargo so she can ride on back but this one might be too small for that. Combined we are less then 350lbs but I am not sure if there would be a problem trail riding. I was thinking of upgrading to Honda 2013 FourTrax® Foreman® 4x4 ES (TRX®500FE) but I am not sure if that would be much better. What are your thoughts about these or maybe a different one. I plan on trail riding and bombing through the woods up north with a little mudding and generally prefer the solid rear axle for durability because I am not very gentle on these. I have been riding atv's offroad for a long time now but never bought a brand new ride and want to get something we will enjoy until she buys one for herself which might not be for a year or more. My budget is around $5500 but might be willing to go up to $6k if needed. Thanks for any advice.

-Nick

Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If your going to double ride get the Foreman. It has a much larger and stable full size chassis over the mid size Rancher chassis.
I ride with both on my fishing trips and the Foreman makes the Rancher look like a runt parked side by side.
My 350 Grizzly/Bruin even looks larger then the Rancher due to the Rancher odd little 24" wheels.
My Grizzly came stock with 25" tires but I put 26" tires on it now.
You will not be happy with 24" tires and to replace tires cost $500 or more plus the rancher has odd 11"rear rims that limit you tire selection big time,while the Foreman has 25" wheels on normal 12" rims stock as well as a larger roomier frame/chassis.

Try for the 2014 Foreman it will be Honda's first 4x4 ATV with diff lock true 4wd they ever made.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Another thing to consider if you're riding two up is where you'll be doing it. Some places will only allow two up riding on models that were designed as two up and not just adding a seat/back rest on a single passenger model.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

My brother rides double on a blaster and they only stop him when he is riding reckless but otherwise as long as you ride safe they don't really mind. I wasn't sure how big of a difference the chassis was. The 2 are not next to each other at the dealership the Foreman looked like it might be similar but that could be cause the Rincon makes it look smaller. The 2014 is almost $1k more because the 2013 is on closeout. I think the Foreman will be the one I go for anything I should look to update right away that doesn't cost too much? Also what do you think of QUADBOSS WEEKENDER TRUNK from Tucker Rocky ATV for on back? Would it be good to get one with the extra seat on it or just a backrest?
Thanks!

-Nick

Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Sit on the Rancher and the Foreman and you will see and feel the physical sized difference easily.

The Foreman and 680 Rincon both have a "full size" chassis so they will look and feel the same. 2013 Honda FourTrax® Foreman® 4x4 ES (TRX®500FE) ATVs

You have to buy the who Truck/seat set up. The backrest is just a replacement part for the seat/truck unit.
I had one on my Grizzly when I bought it used and a few people have them in our group , we all have the passenger foot peg option which is nice and acts as rear fender guards as well.

Defiantly the passenger feel better and more comfortable with the seat. I think the passenger is more comfortable then the driver is.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

What brand is that or which are good to get?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

We have 3 sets in our group , all different makes. They all are comfortable and built well.
I don,t think it matters which company you get one from. They differ in price due to some have more storage room and a tail light.

I do not think any of us knows what brand of seat we own. Mine was already on my 350 when I bought the ATV and is comfortable but its not as large as my friends seat on his 500 foreman.
This is his on his 500 Foreman his (notice the foot rest) has more storage and rear lights ,I have no picture of my smaller seat but its as comfortable just less storage.

Mine was a smaller more basic one like this, I sold because I do not double ride much but I kept the rear fender guards/foot pegs.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

That is basically how mine will be looking too! I like that look!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Trailblazer

Well I bought the 2013 Foreman ES 4x4 in red but the rear seat was back ordered that I was going to buy so they gave me a free upgrade to the weekender instead which was about $130 more than the one I was getting! I get to pick it up friday when the seat comes in and they threw in 2 MSR X-Pedition helmets free with the purchase as well. Can't wait to get it and hit the trails!!
-Nick

Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like they treated you prety good nick.

Quick Reply: Buying New ATV This Week!!