Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I think it's time.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's time.

I use to ride when I was younger but it's been a long time. I'm really only interested in buying a sports ATV but I'm 6'2 and I weight about 290, I'm not very wide but I wonder if my overall weight is going to make it possible for me to find a bike that is good for me to ride. I use to ride a 400ex but I was much smaller back then and I understand they don't make them anymore for some reason. So I'm open to idea's about brand, models and cc's, preferably I'm looking for a semi auto but I know there are conversion kits so it's not a must.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Also

I've been looking around and I like the look of the 2014 KFX450R, it looks like it has a wider wheel base. Any thoughts?

Old 08-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thoughts?:
What took you so long???

Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

They do still make the 400ex. They are called the trx400. But the older 400ex will smoke today's trx400, if you can believe that. A 450 would be a nice wheeler if you know how to ride. You said you haven't ridden in a while so hopping right onto a 450 might not be the smartest idea. You can mod out any 400 to beat a 450. Maybe even a raptor 660. The 450s run hot so more maintenance will need to be done on them so the raptor would put out a little less power as a 450 would but it would not require as much maintenance.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Could you explain how a 450 would beat a 650? Isn't a 650 a bigger engine?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Dune Rider

I'm wondering what type of riding you have in mind???
(mountain trails? dunes? hard packed field? etc???)
The type of riding IMHO has the most influence on which machine to choose.
Is it pure pleasure or do you want utility type of function also. (wench, plow or haul?)

Then you get into the whole issue of what is your budget $aying.
do you want to mod in the long run? or do you want instant performance?

Will it just be you or would a 2 up be the thing (SxS)?

you have already thought along the lines of semi- automatic.
(I'm a clutch & shift type-pleasure in the sand) (I do have 2nd machine that is auto for the mountain trails)
(I also have an issue about collecting several)

Old 09-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default hope this helps.

So mainly around my house I live in a coal region, so there are a lot of mountain trails and huge hill climbs on coal banks, there are flat dirt roads that run for miles and then there are rough roads you have to take your time with. It will really just be me riding it. There is no need for any utility use for it. Budget really isn't an issue and as I get more comfortable with riding again I may want to mod in the future, but it's hard to say.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

450s are usually race quads. Raptors aren't. I'm not sure how it happens but the 450s are very quick

Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Dune Rider

Originally Posted by Deric200
I've been looking around and I like the look of the 2014 KFX450R, it looks like it has a wider wheel base. Any thoughts?
I can't find anything wrong with your choice.

The frame is light, narrow and easy to ride while it sits lower with wider a-arms.
The adjustable rear shock should work well for a guy your size.
Fuel injected should work to your advantage when going from the roads to an uphill climb in a hurry.

I was thinking that several ATVC members should be able to chime in with their experience and what they have seen work well for their fellow riders.
you're off to a good start

Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Dune Rider

Originally Posted by JakeRokjer
450s are usually race quads. Raptors aren't. I'm not sure how it happens but the 450s are very quick
I was surprised by how much more comfortable the Raptor is when compared to the LT450R. I like my zukies very much and found the way it feels when seated was not comfortable to me. If I were going to really ride aggressively and wanted to mount it like a jockey on a race horse the 450R would be great. I'm to long legged for it and my knees need more "leg room".
In short, neither were able to steal my heart away from the LT250R.
It just "fits" to nice for me.

Seat on the seat to decide.

Quick Reply: I think it's time.