Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Installing a Superwinch Terra 35 on a Grizz 700

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a Superwinch Terra 35 on a Grizz 700

Just unboxed the SW and I'm trying to figure out where some of these parts will be installed. For the most part everything seems straight forward but I'm having trouble deciding where these should go...

Name:  hood%20parts_zpshxxfoiw9.jpg
Views: 24265
Size:  240.5 KB

Piece on the right is the solenoid (and is maybe called a 'contactor' in some of the utube install videos i've seen) and piece on the left is the circuit breaker. Best advice I've gotten is to install both of these 'under the hood.' Here's mine...

I was hoping to convey a better sense of the space in there but a pic doesn't seem to be doing it really. Anyway the plastic piece that covers all this lies fairly close to the top of everything leaving not a lot of extra room.

There's a slim chance I can find a solid piece of something in there to mount the smaller circuit breaker piece to, but far as the larger solenoid piece goes there's only one place I can possibly see it going, and that's in this hole here that goes back just behind the battery...

Name:  hole_zpsibozheab.jpg
Views: 24494
Size:  157.9 KB

But because it's going back in there so far there's no way of securing it to anything. Best idea would be to get everything generally in place and installed wire wise, then wrap the solenoid in layers of thin sheet styrofoam like material I've seen in packing materials. Wrap as much as possible and slide back into the hole for a snug fit. And if a solid mounting option under the hood doesn't present itself for the smaller circuit breaker piece I suppose it could be installed the same way. Don't like the idea of things shaking around in there but as long as there's no problem with the solenoid wires touching the styrofoam wrap I figure I can just keep a close watch on how the wrapping is wearing and replace when needed.

Now onto where to mount the remote plug-in socket...

Name:  remote_zpsgacjztw1.jpg
Views: 24419
Size:  256.1 KB

Any suggestions?

And last I need to identify a switched power wire somewhere under the hood on the old '11 700 Grizz to hook into. Can I get a good description of this wire or maybe a picture to be sure? Install manual says to use a wire coming from the 'vehicle ignition key switch.'

review...

1) Any alternative suggestions as to where to mount the solenoid or ideas on wrapping it up and mounting it in the hold?

2) Ideas on where to install the remote winch plug in port?

3) Idea where to tap into a switched power line under the hood? Picture would be helpful.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On one of my quads I had the heavy duty contactor like that mounted near the battery under the rear fender. That's as far as the cables would reach. It would bet splattered with mud but never failed to work. You need to see how far your wiring reaches to see if you can find a better place.

When I had a remote plug in on one quad I put the port in the side of my headlight pod. That was a Sportsman and it had lots of room. I don't know if that will work for you. At the top of the front fender is the next place I could think of. Nothing would hit it if it was on the back of the fender.

If it's like most quads I've seen there should be a red and white wire you can tap into in the front end, either under the hood or in the pod.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks again jf. If I knew this bike a little better I'd probably already have the ideal place to put it but the more input I get the more I see its all fairly flexible. Limited just like you say to how long the wiring reaches. One guy says he put his right where I was pointing out just secured it with a bunch of heavy duty zip ties.

Got a KFI winch mount and the install graphic shows installing the 'contactor' on the mount itself a couple inches behind the winch, which is surprising considering it seems to be the main electrical component of the whole setup having some fairly beefy wires going to it. Still not exactly sure if what KFI calls the 'contactor' and what Superwinch calls the 'circuit breaker' are the same component, I think they are anyway.

X2 on the remote mount advice.

For splicing into a keyed power wire I've been referred to Yamaha part 5KM-86171-00-00. Looking at my hood pic it's a custom wire harness that plugs in somewhere on the top left between the big silver box (which I assume is the computer) and the air intake vent. Provides two switched power wires. Cheesy way to go I know but I went ahead and ordered it.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:59 PM
Moto Psycho

As far as I know a contactor is is just a heavy duty solenoid. I've never seen a circuit breaker like that with any of my winches so I can't help you there. But I would think it should go somewhere that doesn't get wet or too hot.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

toonces,

Part # 5KM-86171-00-00 will go between the 12V "cigarette" style accessory plug in the wiring harness. The big silver box you mention is the EPS Control Module. The ECU (Grizzly computer) is located directly underneath the EPS CM.

You may be able to mount your SW contactor to the bar that holds the battery in place but you would need to trim underneath the plastic cover. The other option is per where you have already identified... in the right hand side (looking front to rear) where the fuse box and starter relay are. However, I will warn that adding any additional components, make sure and protect existing and new wires from any sort of rubbing that could be caused from the immense vibration that occurs when riding. I know this now from direct experience after troubleshooting an electrical problem for the last month. Make sure and use automotive plastic shroud for your new wires, route and secure the wires well.

My winch contactor is mounted to the winch plate, have not had an issue with it but I do see the importance for mounting the winch contactor high and dry.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a guy who put one on a 550 which is the same ATV as a 700 but for the displacement.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

The larger black part on the right in your pic is the contactor. I would go high and dry if you can with both of those parts, although the contactor may be sealed with an original or something for longevity. Any chance those fuses will fit in your fuse box?