Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Helllo & Good first used bike for a big buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helllo & Good first used bike for a big buy?

(edit: the title is supposed to say "big guy")

Get guys... I went riding with a friend of mine this past weekend and had a blast. I'm kind of looking at something to buy for myself now.

I was riding a 2000 Honda 300EX. I know it was a bit small for me, but to be honest, it held up well and had plenty of newbie power.

I'm 6'4, 300+lbs and in my 30's. I'm not made of money, so that will be the big factor for me. I honestly don't know how I will be riding, but I assume 99% of the time it will be on fairly flat sands/grass trails here in Florida.

With very basic research I was thinking a 400EX. I know a ~700 4x4 automatic would be nice, but thats probably going to be out of my price range, especially on how little I'd use it.

ETA: I'm also comfortable with wrenching on stuff myself. Valve jobs, and other basic "tune-up" type things would be done by me, if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for having me!

Old 11-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you're looking for a sport quad for a big guy see if you can find a Raptor 700 or 660 in your price range. I think the 400ex is the same sized quad as the 300ex.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the 400 is a full sized sport quad. The big Raptors will give you a bit more leg room, and the 700 is a great machine. 400ex is one of the all time best trail quads for durability, handling, and ease of maintenance. If you liked the 300, but want a little better suspension and a bump in power, the 400ex fits the bill nicely. Suzuki z400 and her identical sisters kfx400 and dvx400 take the 400ex advantages one step further with a bump in power and suspension. All make excellent trail machines that have been in production for a while. That means rather have good aftermarket support and plenty of u see d examples for a reasonable price.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 400ex is going to be the best bargain but the Suzuki Z400 isn't much more expensive. For about $2000, either one of them can be found in good condition ready to ride. A older 4x4 quad can be had for around $3000, that's about what I paid for my Grizzly 660(which would be a comfortable fit) but it appears most of your friends have sport quads so I assume you will be happier with one of those. Many times what your friends ride determines what you buy. If all your friends ride utility 4x4 quads, that's what you will want to get. If they all ride sport quads, then you're probably going to want one of those. The type of terrain you ride on is also determined by what you ride. If they all have sport quads, then they're probably not going to be doing much riding in mud so 4x4 probably won't be necessary anyway.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default new quad

Originally Posted by greg74
A 400ex is going to be the best bargain but the Suzuki Z400 isn't much more expensive. For about $2000, either one of them can be found in good condition ready to ride. A older 4x4 quad can be had for around $3000, that's about what I paid for my Grizzly 660(which would be a comfortable fit) but it appears most of your friends have sport quads so I assume you will be happier with one of those. Many times what your friends ride determines what you buy. If all your friends ride utility 4x4 quads, that's what you will want to get. If they all ride sport quads, then you're probably going to want one of those. The type of terrain you ride on is also determined by what you ride. If they all have sport quads, then they're probably not going to be doing much riding in mud so 4x4 probably won't be necessary anyway.

400 ex ain`t for bigger guys > I`m 6` 2" and always felt cramped on it. take a look at a kfx700, very comfortable for bigger people , auto belt drive-very dependable, not the fastest 700 out there but you can take it as far as u want w/ mods. you will end up loving the auto. I love mine for trail riding, now that I`m old enough to not want to be the fastest guy around. they can be had for a decent price , even at a dealer. they are carbed tho .

Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Polaris Scrambler 500 is in the same category as well. Chain drive cvt auto but has the added benefit of available 4x4. They can be had pretty cheap as well and I think would be a good fit for a larger rider.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by wedgeracer
400 ex ain`t for bigger guys > I`m 6` 2" and always felt cramped on it. take a look at a kfx700, very comfortable for bigger people , auto belt drive-very dependable, not the fastest 700 out there but you can take it as far as u want w/ mods. you will end up loving the auto. I love mine for trail riding, now that I`m old enough to not want to be the fastest guy around. they can be had for a decent price , even at a dealer. they are carbed tho .
The 400ex is a full sized sport quad. If you feel cramped, there are some options for a custom fit. Bar risers and possibly a different bar bend for starters. Thicker seat foam and if you look around, I would bet someone is selling foot peg relocators, or possibly nerf bars with a built in peg drop. Not saying the ex is the be all end all, I actually like other machines better. Just that these can be personalized fairly easily.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

No sport ATV has a full sized chassis maybe mid chassis at best , unless you count the Scrambler(newer) and Renegades which are really Utility ATV with sporty plastics and no rack. The Older 500/400 Scramblers are full chassis ATVs as well.

According to these specs the 400ex is not much smaller then a 700 Raptor . 2011 Yamaha Raptor 700R ATVs.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by tlc
no sport atv has a full sized chassis maybe mid chassis at best , unless you count the scrambler(newer) and renegades which are really utility atv with sporty plastics and no rack. The older 500/400 scramblers are full chassis atvs as well.

According to these specs the 400ex is not much smaller then a 700 raptor . 2011 yamaha raptor 700r atvs.
lol

Old 11-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Moto Psycho

A Raptor 700 would be a good choice if you like to shift, which I personally don't. An automatic is always in the right gear. The Scramblers are heavier than true sport quads but are fun to ride. They're more like an SUV compared to a sports car because of the weight and the 4x4 that most of them had.

Quick Reply: Helllo & Good first used bike for a big buy?