Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy?

2007 Polaris 800 efi

https://albany.craigslist.org/snw/6114816100.html

Saw this in Craigslist today right around the corner from ny house. I'm going to go take a look at it today. Here are a few notes from what the guy already told has been done on it. Let me know if there is anything else I should check or ask about.

$1,200 new tires and rims
Aftermarket A arms
Lift kit
All new heavy duty axles
New heavy duty clutch
1000miles with 200 hours

Was going to offer him $3500 cash if everything checks out. Let me know your thoughts or comments.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KBB.com says the suggested retail value is $4,130 in excellent shape when I checked in my area code. https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/pola...=4-wheel%20atv

The ad says too many mods to list. I personally wouldn't want a heavily modded ATV but with only 1,000 miles it may be a good deal.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mainly the mods he said were on it was a 2" lift kit, new tires and rims which I screwed up and forgot to look at what size they were when I was there looking at it. New heavy duty axles front and back and a heavy duty clutch to keep up with the larger rims and tires. He said there was a radiator relocation kit on it when he bought it but he moved it back to the original spot because it blocked the single headlight on the handle bars. Also has a winch with synthetic rope and said he would throw in the plow he has for it for $4000. He bought it two years ago from the original owner and and has only out about 100 miles on it. It's too big for him and his daughters.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Looks good, but why does he want to trade for another ATV. Maybe he's had problems with it?

Old 05-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I have talked with some buddies of mine and they said from the pictures of it that it looks like it's been ridden hard. He says he wants a smaller one because it's too big to ride with his girls on their smaller quads but idk I'm not really buying that story. I guess I'll stay on the search. Plus he doesn't have any service or maintenance records because the original owner did all the oil and maintenance on it.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I passed on the '07 sportsman. Was not sure on it and the guy ended up selling it anyways. I have been researching and looking at the new 2017 sportsman 570 and have been seeing good and bad things with it. I'm being quoted $5,899 OTD from two dealers close by near the Albany,NY area. Wondering if I should wait until later in the season for possibly more rebates from Polaris or better price when they are trying to get rid of the '17 models to make way for sleds and '18 models. Still unsure if they have worked out all the bugs and issues yet. I have found a '12 Sportsman 800 efi on Craigslist that was a trade in at a dealership. They were the dealer who oringally sold it to the guy. Older guy retired and never rode it. It has 56 miles on it and looks to be mint condition. Dealer says all fuilds have been changed and has been fully serviced and ready to go. Let me know what everyone thinks. Below is the post to Craigslist.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/snd/6125727995.html

Old 05-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like a good deal to me. Looks better than some of the new units I've seen.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not in the market for an ATV but I think I would buy that Sportsman 800 anyway if I was close. Here's a link at the dealership. Used 2012 Polaris Sportsman® 800 EFI ATVs in Ferrisburg, VT

Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I want one but if I should wait until the end of the season for a better deal on a new one then I gotta do what I gotta do. But the deal sounds great and looks better than the other one I was looking at it's only 5 years old. Serviced through the same dealer who sold it originally. From what I've heard also the 800 is a beast and is pretty much "bulletproof". Any other thoughts or concerns please share with me. Might call them Monday and out a deposit down to hold it until I can get out there to test drive it and see it in person. It's 2 and a half hours away so if I go I'm going with intentions on buying it.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

800 is very bulletproof. Good strong engine. I had a 2006 Sportsman X2 500. The biggest thing I didn't like was that the radiator was mounted low and the winch high. Got clogged a couple times over the 6 years I owned it. Radiator up high is a much better setup. Not sure when they changed it to the higher setup.
Between now and the late summer/early fall when the new machines come out, you might get a couple hundred more off. My son got a Scramber XP 1000 in the spring after haggling with a couple dealers. Decent deal. A buddy of his got one too, but in the late summer. He scored a couple more hundred off.