Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying online?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying online?

I’m completely new to ATVs, and I have a simple question. Can I buy and have an Atv shipped to me online without actually going to a dealership? If it helps I am looking to get a kymco and I live in NY state? Thanks.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Pretty sure you can. Check what the shipping would be, though. If you need warrantee work, your local dealer may put you on the back of the line, or not. My local Arctic Cat dealer has treated me great, though I bought all my Cats from the internet. I was looking at NH dealers before I found my latest Cat in Maine. Seemed like good inventories and pricing, no sales tax.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You probably can but why?? Without dealer backing warranty work could be a problem. Next thing is what if you don't like it?? Very costly to send it back or exchange it. Never buy without trying first ! !Always!! I am a Kymco owner and love my machine, no issues in 1 3/4 yrs....however...I still would not buy one without trying it first. You will end up paying sales tax when you get your title, that is the law in most states so your not gonna save anything there. Shipping will probably run 700-900 bucks depending on how far you are. Could drive there and check it out then rent a u-haul trailer to bring it home in for less money then shipping. Personally I would not take the chance, to many things to go wrong...

Old 11-07-2017, 10:39 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always supported my local dealers and they've supported me. Maybe they still would have treated me right if I bought my ATVs elsewhere but I don't know. It would have to be a big incentive to steer me away from them. If I have a problem I'd rather walk in and say I have this problem what can you do about it, instead of asking someone else in another state and maybe having to ship it back.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't do it. I don't even like going to a dealer a little farther away even if the price is a little lower. Its just easier dealing with the local dealer. My local dealer sells Arctic Cat/Textron, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki. The owner also owns another dealer about an hour away that sells Polaris and Honda. Basically he has all major brands covered except Can-Am. I'm sure if I wanted a new Polaris or Honda he would send one from the other dealer to the one closer to me so I could pick it up. I was there once and I think he did just that for a customer as they picked up a new Honda Pioneer utv. I just noticed in fact they were looking to hire a driver to do just that as they posted it on their Facebook page. Buying online just seems like an extra step that is not needed.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some dealers don't like to work on anything they didn't sell. If they don't, then what?

Old 12-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Country Rider

Yes, you will most likely be able to buy an AVT on line but you will have to pay a large fee