First quad purchase and since I'm a women. I'm getting the run around - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Go Back  ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community > General Discussion > Buying an ATV
Reload this Page >

First quad purchase and since I'm a women. I'm getting the run around

Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First quad purchase and since I'm a women. I'm getting the run around

Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

True indeed! I've driven Arctic Cats thousands of miles, only brake pads, spark plugs. Can't blame the machine for $hit the previous owner did. Old Hondas are good, but like anything, only as good as the owner treated them. So pictures when you decide!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I assume you mean you want to buy a used atv. There are some new models in the price range you mentioned but you can't get a 4x4 quad for that price. You definitely will need 4x4 for the kind of terrain you mentioned. Especially if you ever plan on riding in winter in snow, 4x4 is a must. Something in the 400-500cc range would be plenty of power. Ones I would look at would be the Yamaha Kodiak 450, Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4, Polaris Sportsman 400 or 500, Honda Rubicon 500, Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4, Can-Am Outlander 400, and the Arctic Cat 400 and 500cc 4x4 models. You should be able to find any of these used at a dealer in the $3000 price range in good condition ready to ride.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jeep3 View Post
Ask yourself how often you want to be working on your ATV.

If the answer is "never", then I would suggest either a Honda Rancher 4x4 or a Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4. Both machines are smaller in size than the big bore full size ATVs are, and are easier to handle. You can get them with power steering, which is also nice, but the price wont be $3-$4K.

If the answer is "I'm okay with working on my ATV", then go ahead and add Arctic Cat, Polaris, and some of the better Chinese brands to your list, and the price will be lower, particularly for used ATVs.
So that's slowly becoming a big question too. I would rather not have to. I know I will need to learn some basics for emergency purposes. I'l be able to use it about 5 to 6 months out the year before the snow comes in and closes me out. So one dealer said with regural maintenance from a mechanic before and after the season I should be good. But when you say work on it, to what extent would I be looking at?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

What ever machine you end up buying you should get a service manual so you have any information you might need for repairs. If the machine has been properly cared for most common maintenance is going to be oil and filter changes. I put my machine up on jack stands twice per year to check all the joints and pivot points, CV joints for cracks and tears, grease wherever fittings are located and use a dry spray lube for all joints that do not have a grease zerk. Airfilters are also cleaned at this time as well as battery connections. Coolant fluid check and brake fliud check. At least once per year I also check the differentials in front and back, if I have been thru much water over the riding season I will change the diff lube once per year just like the engine oil. If you get a CVT automatic a belt replacement will be needed approximately 2000 miles, sometimes more or less depending on how it is used. I also change the spark plug(s) every 2 years even if they look good. I also use a fuel stabilizer in the gas on my machines and check air pressures regularly to know if you have any slow leaks in the tires. Mostly common sense maintenance to keep your machine running well. I am not interested in having a breakdown miles from home or camp. A service manual will give you all the details of what is recommended for regular maintenance.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 PM
Moto Psycho

I don't change my own oil anymore. Once a year I drop my quad off at the dealer and have them do a lube, oil & filter plus check over everything else. It's not cheap but it saves me time and hassle. I've never had a garage and always hated working on anything in the driveway, plus I'm lazy. I check my oil, anti-freeze, air filter, tire pressure, and things like that once in a while, and use fuel stabilizer at the end of fall. That's about all I do. I don't have a lot of miles on it but it's 10 years old and still on the original belt and spark plug.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll admit I only do simple repairs and maintenance on my machines as well. Mine is having issues with the carbs and I ended up taking it to a different shop last week because the previous shop didn't fix the problem. This shop only works on motorcycles and atvs and used to be a Polaris dealer years ago. Nothing against the other shop but they tried cleaning the carbs and it just didn't fix the problem. This shop has a more thorough cleaning process and is going to rebuild the carbs and probably adjust the valves as well as I'm sure they need it. I wish I had taken it there first but the first shop is very close and does have a quicker turnaround. This time with weather getting colder and holidays this week, I don't mind waiting a little longer to get it fixed right. I'll be out a few hundred more bucks but it should run better than it did when I first got it when they're done with it.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Country Rider

Well, it nice to see women riding. One to check out is a Polaris sportsman 500. They are reliable,powerful, have both 2wd and 4wd, and have storage racks on them.