Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need Opinions on a new purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinions on a new purchase.

Hey y'all,
My dad and I are buying a pair of 4 wheelers and are kinda stuck between two different models. They are a 2017 Honda Rubicon 4x4 and a Suzuki King Quad 750Axi. The both have Independent rear suspension, Power Steering, Electronic 4x4 selection and automatic transmission. I'd love to hear the pros and cons of both. They will primarily be using them for trail riding, A little bit of light work around the house too. So far we like the Honda more only because it is a true multi speed transmission versus a CVT belt driven style transmission in the Suzuki. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance and happy holidays to everyone!

Old 12-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The King Quad probably has twice as much horsepower as the Rubicon, if not more. They aren't even in the same class power-wise. It's an apples and oranges type of comparison. I personally will never buy a Honda unless they start putting out a decent amount of power like every other brand does.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It took some searching but I found an ATV horsepower chart. If this is right the King Quad only has about 73% more horsepower than the Rubicon, not 100% like I expected. That's still enough to put the King Quad in a completely different class of power than the Rubicon.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

You should ride em both. You may be ok with 28 hp. I just traded an Arctic Cat 400 , manual transmission with about 32 hp for a 700cc Cat with 48 hp. I gave up 10 speeds for 2 speed automatic and it was a great move up. I think, once you crack open the throttle on a 750 Suzuki, you will forget about all the gears. Actually, the Suzuki in Low range should be able to pull a heck of a trailer, plow snow like a champ, etc.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

My vote is for the Suzuki too. Very reliable, good ergonomics, decent ride comfort-wise, and more power than the Honda.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Both are nice machines but do be aware of the Honda automatic tranny, they have had there share of issues and they are very expensive to fix. Read up on the issues before you decide. The CVT is a tried and true tranny, easy to service and belts are cheap compared to the cost of an electric shift Honda tranny. People without electric shift Hondas really like there machines but the electric part really knocks down there resale at least in my area.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input y'all. I appreciate it. Luckily I have friends who own both models and rode them. Needless to say I will be going with the Suzuki. The power factor alone was nearly enough to do it for me. The only con I felt with the Suzuki was the steering seems a bit touchy. I am gonna be headed down to the dealership shortly after the 1st to see if they will cut me a deal for more than 1. I want one and dad wants two, hopefully buying 3 total will have them knock down that price point a little or save some off of the fees that get tacked on.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Salvati
Thanks for the input y'all. I appreciate it. Luckily I have friends who own both models and rode them. Needless to say I will be going with the Suzuki. The power factor alone was nearly enough to do it for me. The only con I felt with the Suzuki was the steering seems a bit touchy. I am gonna be headed down to the dealership shortly after the 1st to see if they will cut me a deal for more than 1. I want one and dad wants two, hopefully buying 3 total will have them knock down that price point a little or save some off of the fees that get tacked on.
The thing to do is visit a couple different dealerships if you have 2 fairly close together. Get an out-the-door quote from 1 and show it to the other. See if they'll beat that price. If they do, go back to the first dealer and see if they'll beat your newest quote. We got about $1500 of each of our newest quads doing this. Dealers don't like it but I'm not here to make them more wealthy than is necessary.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The thing to do is visit a couple different dealerships if you have 2 fairly close together. Get an out-the-door quote from 1 and show it to the other. See if they'll beat that price. If they do, go back to the first dealer and see if they'll beat your newest quote. We got about $1500 of each of our newest quads doing this. Dealers don't like it but I'm not here to make them more wealthy than is necessary.

Thats my exact plan. I'm gonna get an OTD quote from a dealership I visited and go to the one I'd like to purchase from. I know the salesman there and that was pretty much his advice as well. They just announced a year end sale too.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Some times if they cant beat the price thay can offer extras like extended service/warranty and other accessories for the machines. Factories can offer a lot of accessory pkgs for little to no cost rather than discounting the price.
Whatever you choose just be sure it is the least amount out of your pocket!!

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on a new purchase.