Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Most Reliable 4x4 utility Quad on the market! Which one is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to change a belt on the trail once on my first ATV. I burned the belt and knew it would eventually fail but I had a spare and didn't worry about it. About 100 miles later on a different ride it started coming apart and pieces were coming out of the clutch exhaust tube, or whatever it's called, and landing on my left foot. I had to take the floorboard off, then the clutch cover, and the belts rolled off and back on over the edge of the clutch. I didn't even pull the clutch open. I just got the belt partway off/on, and when turned the clutch it went the rest of the way off/on. The only tools I needed were the screwdriver that came in the tool kit, and a socket wrench with a 6" extension. I probably could have done it with one of the open end wrenches in the tool kit but it would have taken a lot longer. I bought a 1/4" flex handle wrench just for this. Once I broke a bolt loose I turned the handle on the wrench 90 degrees and used it like a nut driver. It only took about 20 minutes to change the belt and get back on the trail. But if you use low gear when you're supposed to you aren't likely to burn a belt in the first place. The only reason I did was when I went down a hill it was a tight fit between 2 trees and I barely got through. The trail dead-ended back then, and when I went back up the hill my quad wouldn't fit in between the narrower space on the downhill side. I didn't see a way around anywhere so I put it in 4 Low and tried climbing high enough up between the trees to get through. It didn't work and a lot of smoke was blowing out of the clutches. I finally found a way around the trees and I think it was 2 rides later when the belt broke. On my friends' newer Polaris ATVs there's a part of the frame like a steel bar you have to take off to change the belt. I think it only has one bolt on each end. I don't know how hard it is to change a belt or how long it takes because belts last for thousands of miles and they haven't broken one yet.