Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Considering one of these 3 500's

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully by next spring I will have my cash saved up for buying one of these three Quads: Arctic Cat 500 auto or manual, Bombardier Traxter, or the Honda Rubicon. I have decided that this is plenty big enough. I do not need a 650 or a 700. The quad will be used mostly for plowing snow, pulling a plow, and maybe even towing my fishhouse in the winter on the ice! I want more of a utility quad than a sport quad, and one of these will fit the bill fine, I believe. I have plenty of dealers around, so I shouldn't have a problem testing these 3 out. In the past I was thinking about the 300's and 400's, but I want enough power to handle the snow that we get, and something that has enough grunt to pull a 7 tooth spring-tooth plow. So I have come to the conclusion that a 500 would be great![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2001, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

Another option would be to check out the new Suzuki's (Eiger and Vinson) and the new Bombardier Quest 500.

Old 09-30-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Hammer-
I definately agree with you in sticking with the 500 over the smaller machines. I also agree, contrary to popular belief at these emerging times, that the 500 is also more than enough, and the 600+ machines are really not necessary. The only real advantage I think they have is a higher top speed, but for utility/working guys like me, I never see that kind of speed anyway, nor would I want too. And, when trail riding on very technical terrain, with a top speed of maybe 1-2 mph in low range, what good is doing 60+ anyway?

I'm affraid I have to be a bit negative towards the Ruby. I have a friend up in Pullman who works for a large farming outfit. They purchased two of the Ruby's the first year they came out, had nothing but problems with them in the farming situation. Both machines, not just one, so call it like you see it, but both had issues. Having ridden one of them myself, I was definately not impressed, and could not spend any length of time riding the machine. I've broken my back before, and have back pain most of the time, the Ruby amplified that considerably to the point it was down right painful to ride.

For the work you mention, I would definately stick with a strait axle machine, IRS is not your best option here. The Traxter and AC line are both great choices, or depending on how much land you actually need to plow, maybe a small light duty tractor would be better??? Some will argue the auto/manual decision for towing/hauling issues, I personally have pulled huge loads with my auto that I don't see the need for the manual, unless you really like shifting gears. I've never slipped a belt while working, but then again, I always keep it in low range to prevent tranny harm. As for the snow plowing issues, any of the above machines will handle those chores with ease, I'd probably recommend a 60" blade as well, to make the job faster-the machines will handle that just fine.

The AC is probably the more "utility" version of them all, as that is basically what it was designed for-utility work and trail riding, not anything where any kind of speed is needed. If you would prefer speed, go with the Ruby, or even the SPHO line, they will be much faster than the 'Cat. The new '02 'Cats have been geared higher though and are reaching higher top speeds than previous year 'Cats, I just don't see them being any faster than either the Ruby or the SP's. Massey-Ferguson (tractor company) also signed a deal last year with AC to sell AC machines with the Massey name or logo, as tough, farming machines. The Local John Deere dealer here also sells 'Cats with the same type of deal, their logo on the side. Either way, they are suggesting tough, dependable utility useage, not high speed joy riding.

As for the traxter, I only know one guy with one of those, and can't really comment on it's performance. He's had an old sportsman before, and so far, both machines have had their share of problems. I won't comment on the performance of either of those, simply because of the way he treats his machines-they are abused, hands down, no questions asked, and honestly I don't know what would stand up to what he puts them through. The traxter does have it's advantages, like the front diff and lower center of gravity, but what kind of price are you going to pay.

I think the best advice would be to test drive each to see which fits you best, then take a long hard look at the dealer. You already know my take on AC from past posts and conversations, so if you have any other questions, give me a hollar. At this point in time, I think all manufacturers have come a long way in designing quads, and even the Ruby may have been improve upon since the one I rode. The dealer would probably be the deciding factor, as you definately want a good one, should you have problems with anything, ever, on the machine.

Best of Luck with the decision, it definately isn't an easy one.

Mike

Old 10-02-2001, 10:31 PM
wam
Weekend Warrior

You could probably get a good deal on a '01 Traxter right now. I got one a few months ago for less than I could have gotten a Rancher. And that was before they came out with the Quest models. Dealers around here wouldn't budge on the prices of their Hondas. I remember reading a shoot out in Dirt Wheels a while back between the Cat 500 and the Traxter and as I remember they were pritty close. I really like my traxter. I don't have any major complaints yet. You'll hear people talk about the rough shifting and mine did at first. But I've found that it takes a certain touch and once you get used to it, it shifts very smoothly. Hold on if you accidently down shift to soon, the engine breaking is excelant. I have to make a concious effort to use my brakes every now and then just to keep rust from forming on the rotors. You will also hear people complain about the weight. What is it, about 150lbs more than the Rubi. To me this is a non issue when your talking about a true 'utility' quad. The weight is actually an advantage when it comes to pulling and towing things. The steering is very light on the traxter compared to the 4x4 Hondas I've ridden. Traxter also holds over 5 gallons of gas and the step through is great for taking the kids for rides. So there you have my opinion of the Traxter. Be careful if you are offered a factory rebate. I'm still waiting for my $1000. I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever you buy. It's a tuff choice. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2001, 10:35 PM
wam
Weekend Warrior

That should be 'engine braking', not 'breaking'. Duh.