Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

which is better Recon or beartracker, Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey people, im gettin a quad and i wanna know if the honda recon or yamaha beartracker is better.... opinions?

Old 12-21-2001, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

I would push more toward the Recon due to the history of the Beartracker. Yamaha came out with it as a replacement to their Timberwolf that had a strong reputation for being underpowered. They basically increased the intake of the carburator and gave it a slightly longer stroke to deliver more power.

The Recon has been touted to have plenty of power but yet somewhat cold natured. Some owners have even reported it does not idle well until warm. It also does not have a conventional type oil filter that can be easily replaced.

Old 12-22-2001, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm also looking for a quad and looked at both of these. I personally liked the beartracker better myself. I rode both and the bear tracker seemed to be just fine on power...especially for a 250. Plus it's got a full size chassis. The recon seemed a little small. To me it looked like a toy.

Old 12-31-2001, 05:45 PM
wyd
Range Rover

I just rode a friend of mines BearTracker for about 25 miles or so. It is his wifes and need to run it and had me ride it so I left my Wolv. at home. The BearTracker was fun. I'm 6' and 215lbs and rode mostly trails with it. It was pretty fun to ride and it was really fun for me to do wheelies on and to jump some over small bumps and stuff like that. I was surprised how the little machine ran for a 250 sized machine. It was a nice change and would make a great 1st machine. The suspension is resonably plush again for its size. I was not beat up at all and we rode some rough stuff with lots of rocks. All in all it was a fun change for me to ride the BearTracker.

Old 12-31-2001, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

my friend has a beartracker and the trany sux and the reverse popes out and it has no power.

Old 01-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

In my opinion. The beartracker is way too short on power. I don't know about the Recon....

Old 01-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Dirt Wheels did a good comparison on the full range of 250s out there. The Recon won hands-down. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs and it hauls me around without a complaint. Now, if you're a big person, you'll find it a bit too small, but I get a kick out of it as an alternative to the bigger 450ES I have. In fact, I use the Recon on some work projects because I can ride it with only one hand on the bars, the ES requires the left for shifting. But in any case, the Recon is tough and well powered. The ride is lighter feeling than the big 4X4 but that's to be expected. They have a well-earned reputation for being cold-blooded but its not a big issue -- just let it warm up.

Old 01-12-2002, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just another opinion but I think the Recon is better made and better to ride. If you look under the front end you will see the Recon has a double tubed a A arm suspension compared to the Beartrackers single flat metal a arm. And the reverse is easier to engage on the Recon. Especially if you are in semi deep water. We've owned two for about 1 year with no complaints.

Old 01-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Range Rover

The reason the Beartracker has only single a-arms is that it uses MacPherson Struts. The Struts support the weight of the front end. It is just as strong as the recon's front end. I had a Beartracker, when when I owned one they were called Timberwolf's, almost the exact same quad, anyway it was reliable and fun to ride. It has plenty of power and now they added front disc brakes. I would highly recommend it, they are great quads.

Old 01-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

If I can get a 2002 Recon for $3199, and a 2002 Beartracker for $2999. What should i go with?

Quick Reply: which is better Recon or beartracker, Help?