Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Banshee good for first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002 | 07:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Im a first time buyer and Im trying to figure out what atv to buy. I was thinking about a 2002 250ex, but I might get bored with it after awhile. Would a used, unmodded Banshee be a good bike to start on? Used will be cheaper and unmodded so I can customize it to my likings? Thanks for any replies.

Old 02-20-2002 | 09:59 PM
Range Rover

I wouldn't recommend starting with a Banshee. They have a rather unmanageable powerband and are a lot of work to maintain. Plus there's no reverse. If you're buying used, I think you'd be much happier with a Yamaha Warrior or a Honda 400EX. The Banshee's 2-stroke motor will be powerful but won't be nearly as durable or fuel efficient as these 4-strokes, especially if they've been ridden hard by a previous owner. DO NOT get a 250EX- you'll outgrow its power in a week. In fact, don't get anything smaller than a Warrior; or you'll be left looking for more power. Then in the future when you're ready to upgrade, skip the Banshee (which will probably be discontinued at the time anyway) and get the Raptor or whatever else is top dog at that time. Stick with 4-strokes because they are the future.

Old 02-21-2002 | 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Stick with a 4 stroke for MUCH less maintainance like a 400EX. A 400EX is the best ALL round bike and easy to "hop up". Ypu'll break your neck on a Banshee for a 1st bike. Ohhhhh and BTW the Rapter is'nt top dog and never was. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2002 | 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

How Big are you sauceWA beacause a good starting bike would be a 300ex but if your looking to go big get higher like 400's. But i'd recomend the 300EX or Warrior. Oh by the way A2000 you forgot one other quad the 300ex it can smoke a warrior if you want it to.

Old 02-22-2002 | 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Although I had previous experience with motorcycles, both dirt & street, I had never ridden a quad before I got my 400EX. It's an exellent starter machine for aggressive novices. It's not tippy like the 300EX, has a much more forgiving suspension, and has a power band that is much more user friendly than the Banshee. I'd recommend looking for a cheap used one, as many 400EX owners get bored with it's tame power and look to move up after the first year of riding.

Old 02-23-2002 | 06:33 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Im 5'8", about 140lbs. Im looking at the 300 and 400ex bikes instead of the banshee now. Thanks for your help guys!

Old 02-23-2002 | 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Heymany people will try and say that the 300 is weak dontlisten to them i have a 300ex and im 5'8 150 and it gives me all the power i need for now. But in 4 years it will be a raptor or 400ex. The 300 is great for a starting quad im new to the sport and i love mine. Plus its a lot cheaper for 59 mph. Ive beatin 700's blasters and mojaves. If money isnt the issue get a 400. But i'd go wit the 300 GOOD LUCK

Old 02-25-2002 | 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

why is it that everyone thinks just because a quad might be slightly faster than the rest of the mentioned quads, he will "huurt/kill" himself? My friend got a new banshee last year and he let his little bro ride it and he is only 11. Handled it just fine and didn't hurt himself. He let a friend of mine who RARELY rides and he handled it just fine. Just imagine if you were on a big hill with a 300EX, and you suddenly need more power to climb it, now your gonna be wishing for something faster! Just because there is more power there doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, just like people on a CR or KX 500, they very rarely need all the power that they have, so why do they ride them?, for when they do need the power, it is there, so keep that in mind. As for a 2 stroke not being durable, thats BS. If you take care of it, they will last for a long azz time, but if you odn't, they won't. Same goes for a 4 stroke as well.

Old 02-26-2002 | 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Are you looking for a sport or utility machine.
I really can't say I would recommend a Banshee as a 'first' machine, unless your riding is in wide open spaces. It is difficult to learn its mannerisms in tight trails or hills. The ex series from Honda are good choices, as the power is more linear, and it is more begenner-friendly. I have nothing against a Banshee, if you have ridden enough to know how to handle it.

Old 08-13-2004 | 03:04 AM
Trailblazer
Default Banshee good for first bike?

dont let size and experience discourage u a m 5foot 4 and 105 pounds and i had never rode a 4 weeler more then 10 minutes and i started out on a banshee sure i got a few laughs from the dealer but once i got on it i was the one laughing. Although it might not be the same way for you because i have had some experience in the past and rode my friends yz125 alot although i couldn't touch the ground. If you do decide to start with the banshee i would recomend investing in a good sturdy set of gear cause your gonna need it. Also concider reading up on 2 stroke engines because they r quite alot of maitenance

Quick Reply: Banshee good for first bike?