Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Title and registration in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title and registration in Michigan

bull****.....they got a lot of nerve calling an ORV sticker a "license" in this screwed up state of Michigan. You can buy the ORV sticker and they ask not what it is for, nor do they keep any records of purchase should you loose it etc. There is no way to "license" an ORV in Michigan because a license is only available for road approved vehicles and a quad will not qualify for that. I wish it would....it might be cheaper than to pay for the rediculous ORV sticker every year. You can get a title from the certificate of origin yes.....but you have to pay your sales tax to get that title. You can keep your own records of your vehicle model and VIN number so that a police department can enter your vehicle into the LEIN (Law Enforcement Information System) if it is stolen. This automatically enters the information into the SOS (secretary of State) information system too....so paying your sales tax to get you a title is nothing but a waste of money. There is no difference in what happens in the computer system if you have a title or not. Many ORV's that were stolen years ago were entered in the system as stolen but are no longer there due the fact that the state dumped all the records a few years back when they went to a new computer system. I'm buying my new quad out of state and am not going to apply for Michigan title. As the lady told you....they have no way to enforce it.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

does anyone know of a website that will check a atv vin? i am looking at one online bt i will NOT buy it till i can have the vin checked to make sure the atv is not stolen. thanks in advance for any help

Old 02-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

You might be able to get that done at Sec of State for about 7 bucks

Old 02-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just for an UPDATE,MANY/MANY/MANY of the past members LEFT the old Michigan based club a few yrs ago for lack of real leadership ect..?

Today,we use the ATVOFFROAD.NET forum and I recommend it alot more than the other,where there was poor leadership and a lack of membership input that meant anything to the President..

If your from Michigan and ride an ATV,you OWE it to yourself to go the ATVOFFROAD.NET forum and say HI,you'll be GLAD you did.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally prefer Michigan Dirt Slingers.

MDS

Old 02-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old 02-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Old 02-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old 02-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

MADDOG,
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for editing you post[I did too]...

Even though I felt you and I kept our conversations very CIVIL,,it seemed to irritate the owner of a differant forum,so in the name of peace--I think we did the right thing.

Hey,
whatever happened to freedom of expression/speech?

Old 02-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Ahh the sacrafices we make in the name of peace...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I thank you as well and also believe our conversation was well within respectable bounds. Free speech does not seem to apply on online forums anymore, I have noticed this more and more on just about every forum I visit.

Its nice to speak with other Michigan members on this board and I hope we can continue to do so. Perhaps I will start making use of the often ignored "Where to Ride" forum.

And I also replied to your PM. Have a good day.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]