Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2000, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a new/newer atv in the next couple months, and have a few questions I am hoping you can help me with. I am curious about the following:
Advantages/Disadvantages of 4x4 vs. 4x2, with a winch.

Automatic vs. Manual, or Electronic Shift.

Engine size.

Brand preference.

As you can see, I need to know pretty much everything about them. From what I have read so far, the Artic Cat 500, or the Kodiac seem to be pretty nice machines, along with this new "Rubicon", but I am curious about hands on experience. The machine will be used mostly around the farm with chores and such, so towing is a must, and a blade, or plow would be a great attachment. It will also be called upon for deer, and more important-Elk hunting trips, so a decent payload would be nice. Because of the mountainous terrain, mud, snow etc. and steep grades of the mountains in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, muscle is a must, along with a heavy duty winch. Any information, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the time.
Mike

Old 02-24-2000, 06:53 AM
Pro Rider

For pulling and just getting around in mud snow
or a barnyard 4wd is almost a must.The winch can be used for fence stretching, un sticking your own quad or a pals they say you can also skin deer with them but i as of yet have not witnessed this. As far as brand goes I like Polaris,others have there opinons too on there favorites. If i were you I would get at least a 400cc quad. And back to brand I would pay a little more to a dealer that would stand behind me when there was a problem. Hopefully ther will be none.
Good luck to you in your search.

Old 02-24-2000, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds to me you need dependability too! Best machine in my opion would be the 2000 Honda 450 ES. With the Rancher being such a hot seller, you may get a better deal on the 450 also. In Michigan, you can get the 450ES for 5600.00 plus tax and title without winch...

Old 02-24-2000, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cowboy, there's nothing wrong with polling for people's opinions. The main problem, you get just that--THEIR opinions. Forming your own opinion is the goal.

I'd recommend some homework on your part before posing the extremely broad questions in your post; read the quad reviews available from the ATV Connection home page, read the magazines, visit dealerships and collect catalogs, even talk to salesmen. A visit to the local riding area, where you can talk to riders about their mounts and others would be instructive (they WILL talk about their rides!).

Then, pose some specific questions lingering in your mind on the Forum.

I'll try to give an example of difficulty in answering your initial post: "Give pros and cons of manual vs. automatic." In what context? Hillclimb? Rock crawling? Descending steep hills? Mudding? Pulling heavy loads, e.g., plowing/mowing?

Another; "Engine size." For what? Racing with your buds? Towing hay wagons? Is fuel economy any issue?

Finally, whatever anyone says, it's your quad; your opinion is the most important.

Tree Farmer

Old 02-24-2000, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer is correct,take it from a chicken farmer,its best to buy what you are the most comfortable with,Just if you buy a new one but it from someone that your comfortable with.(please excuse spelling)also find a mechanic and find out what he thinks of each machine,most around here are honest no matter which dealership they work for. i used to ride sportbikes,motorcycles,etc and now that I've tried it I like automatics dont have have to worry about hitting a steep hill and finding the right gear,just make sure it has engine braking. i have had many differnt brands and they were all good.

Old 02-24-2000, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Superduty1:
I appreciate the back-up with the 4 wheel drive. I have several "motorcycle" buddies, who also ride 4x2's, that have been trying to talk me into their idea's. I just don't see the reason for buying a 4x2, (for my applications) for what it will be used for. Kind of like trucks: If it ain't 4 wheel drive, don't bother, it won't do me any good. I just don't think a 4x2 would have the power to handle a plow, or trailer, without adding too much stress to the machine. As for the automatic, I was curious about the steep hills, and finding the right gear. There are times when manual shifting up or down hills, standing up, crawling over logs, rocks, etc. makes for a little more difficult shifting, so if the automatic doesn't have a problem, that's what I'll go with. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-24-2000, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Fishin:
Thanks for the suggestion. After class and labs are over with, I'm heading down the the local Honda shop to look at the 2000 450ES, check out what else he's got down there. Pullman is a small college town, so we are kind of limited in availability of different brands. I'm graduating in May, so this "workhorse, hunting toy" will be my graduation gift to myself. Can't wait till its over!

Old 02-24-2000, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer:
Yeah, you are right on the opinions stuff. Kind of like Ford vs. Dodge vs. Chevy I guess. I'm starting to get a little excited about buying a new workhorse/hunting toy, and kind of jumped the gun on too broad a topic. As for engine size, no I'm not too concerned about fuel economy. If you can afford the toy, you can afford the fuel to run it. Also, there will be no racing involved. I'll need raw power for pulling trailers for fence mending, feeding etc. through various kinds of terrain, including mud, hills and rock outcroppings. Also, where I go Elk hunting gets pretty nasty. Several parts of the main road have washed out, and what is left is huge rocks, and other boulders, tons of mud, and really steep cross sections. I know I can get a atv through there, it'll just be a little interesting. (It's between 5-7 miles in, and I'm tired of walking!)
Anyhow, sorry to be so long winded. I didn't expect to get this many responses. Thanks for the help, I'm going down to check out the 450ES after lab.

Old 02-24-2000, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

good luck man but at least buy electric shift.

Old 02-24-2000, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

May I sugest, Go into your profile, Then click on

Check to show topics from X days:

And go back a year. there is enough information to keep you busy for days.

Quick Reply: Any advice much appreciated.