Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was thinking of buying an entry level Utility/Sport quad. Any suggestions?

Old 04-06-2002, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

You dont give any info as to your size or the type riding you will be doing so I will suggest
you visit dealers set on various quads, check features and see if you have enough room on entry
level machines (250/300cc) The new Suzuki Ozark has been getting some nice comments.
Good luck/ have fun

Old 04-07-2002, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

kink459
You said SPORT/Utility. That will put you into a cross Bread.

I have heard The New Kaw 650 is a nice crossover bike but $$$$$$.
Yamaha has the Grizzly 660 4x4.I think both of these bikes are a bit more utility than sport but I do not have personal experience with either.
I own a 2000 400 Polaris Scrambler 4x4 and could not be happier.
The Scrambler (While NOT a SPORT Quad) is a bit more sporty.
My feelings,is that there is not a better "DO ALL" bike on the Market(IMPO).
Great at the DUNES, Great on the Trails, Great in the Mudd (4x4).
The Scrambler can also be fitted with FRT. and Rr. Racks, and even a snow plow if needed.

GO DO SOME TEST DRIVES

Old 04-07-2002, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

For a smaller entry level atv, it would be be between the Honda Recon and Suzuki Ozark. I own a Recon and have only sat on an Ozark but all I have read about the Ozark is very positive. My Recon is a great handler with perfect ergos and balance. It is only 230cc so it isn't a rocket but it is entry level and has plenty of power to get in all kinds of trouble if you want to. I am going to buy an Ozark in the near future, I need one more quad to complete the family fleet and I like variety. I am 6' and well over 200 lbs and the Recon, Bayou and Ozark is plenty big enough for me as my riding style is the "throw it around" kind. I like the mid size quads for their lightness and toughness too. They all have modification potential if you want more power from them too. Like Bubascrambler said, take test rides. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 04-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with bobcatv8. If you want a entry level ATV it would be either a Recon or Ozark.The Recons are very good quads,pretty quick too with the new engine from the 250ex.Maybe thats just because im only 13 and 5'4, 100lbs.The ES is also a great feature too.Never ridden an Ozark,but I would guess its pretty good too.Hope you find somethin good.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

I used to own a bayou 300 2wd. Not much sport though. It has good suspension, a strong and proven 290cc engine. plenty of rack space and a unique dual mod rear differential. I got rid of it because I wanted a sport quad. Three years with nothing but oil and air flter changes an 1 set of tires.