Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Yam or Honda????

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well heres the scoop time for me to get a quad i do trail ridding mud boggin little sand no track i weigh 230 lbs 6' 2" i am looking at a Yamaha Warrior or Wolverine or Honda 400 ex or 300 ex what do you think or do you have a better idea???
Thx
nigel

Old 03-08-2000, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

If you like reverse get the 300EX, if you don't need reverse get the 400EX. Just my two cents.

Old 03-09-2000, 08:45 AM
Range Rover

Y2K300EX makes a good point about reverse.

I just ordered a wolverine (I'm 6'3" , 220lbs), but I plan on doing some utility work (plowing snow, hauling wood, etc..) so 4 wheel drive was a prerequisite for me.
BTW, I believe that the wolverine and warrior have the same engine (top end).

I haven't ridden any of your other choices, but I would suggest that you do. Before I ordered my wolverine I had narrowed my choices to 3 bikes (wolverine, kodiak, magnum 500) I then test rode all three to see which one fit me and my intended use best.
I say "intended use" because if you look at my size than you would think that I would have gone with the magnum 500, but I just couldn't see myself being able to throw it around the trail as easy as the much lighter wolverine.

I don't think you would be unhappy with any of your choices, and looking for suggestions and experiences from others is a good way to narrow your search, but you will be the one riding the machine, so I would again suggest that YOU ride all of your choices before making YOUR decision.

Good Luck

Old 03-14-2000, 05:11 AM
Pro Rider

MY OPINION FROM 14+YRS OF RIDING IS..........

Trail riding cuts out the 400EX because it don't have reverse. Not that I haven't trail rode plenty without it. But I have ran into times that I needed it bad on all of them.

6'2'' cuts out the 300EX. I think you would be just a little cramped.

Serious mud boggin' cuts out all but the Wolverine because it's the only 4x4.

Sand riding would be good on the Warrior or 400EX and I'd take either for that. But, I have to say I'm Worrior-partial because I've seen much better reliability out of them. I suggest you check out the Honda forum before you buy a 400EX and if you do buy one, make sure you run senthetic oil or good 20w 50 in it after break-in unless you want to end up a BLUE SMOKE BANDIT and replace an engine early.

Think about what you'll be doing on it most of the time, go ride them and pick out the best one for YOU!!!They are all good quads for what they are intended for.

Good luck & have fun!!!

Old 03-15-2000, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry but for your size the new DS650 sould be in the picture.I got a chance to ride one and felt I needed to be three inchs taler and 50 to 60 lbs more to realy enjoy the bike.It sounds like you would fit the bike well.

Old 03-16-2000, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Yammaha Warrior does great on trails but sux in the mud. Me personally I would get the Wolverien.

Old 03-17-2000, 08:13 AM
Trailblazer

Get a 300ex I have one and I love it. It has reverse and will keep up with a 400ex. Also it will beat a blaster.

Old 03-17-2000, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well, it all depends on how much "sport" you want in your ride.

Don't listen to Duster on the 400EX stuff, best I can figure someone on a 400EX stole his girlfriend, he has been posting smack on it ever since.

Here are some HP figures and other thoughts for you:

Wolverine - about 14 Hp, but the only 4x4 on your list, you sound like an awfully big guy for 14hp. I believe it is the same basic engine as the Warrior, but detuned a little, kinda like the old Honda 350 4X4, ATC350X engine detuned.

Warrior - Reliability better than the EX? Not from what I have seen. Anyway, about 17 hp, handling not even close to the 400EX, not quite as good as the 300EX. Has reverse. Possibly a little faster than a 300EX.

300EX - A descent all around ride, kinda underpowered and small especially for someone your size. About 17hp with reverse, weighs more than a 400EX. Will not keep up with the same caliber rider on a 400EX despite what some will say. Typical Honda reliability

400EX - A very good all around bike, very good in the trails, sand, and about everywhere inbetween. approx 28hp, the larger chassis would suit a rider your size better. Fun for playing in the not so deep mud, best to go really fast and hydro across the deep stuff. No reverse (not really important on a machine as light as a 400EX). Typical Honda reliability.

The whole Polaris lineup - Lots to choose from here, all automatics, some pretty quick, others not. Personally, not exceptionally impressed with the build quality of past specimens I have had contact with, but lots of choices none the less. You would probably be most intrested in the Scrambler lineup. Handling not on par with the Honda sports. I think all have re-back.

DS650 - Reliability has been less than par from my observations. Shoud be quite fast, quite heavy, mid 40's hp I think. Rather wide, may cause you some trouble in the woods. Lots of travel on the suspension. Expensive. No reverse, it's pretty heavy for a bike without it. Should make a good dunes machine though.