Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

question on a used warrior i might buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please take the time to reply, ill appreciate it much...thanks

Well, its a 99 warrior and looks like its been taken care of as far as abuse. THere arent any bends or dents in the frame. I rode it and it seems a little loud has vibrations and its hard to get into neutral and reverse. The engine starts right up and there is no smoke at all. I was told that the gear problem is due to the clutch needing to be adjusted. I have found the noise to be attributed to the exhaust system. The muffler is not tight on the other pipe that also screws into the engine and when the revs go up, it makes noise. The pipe that goes into the engine i have found to be missing one of the two screws. And the one screw that was left was a little loose. Since the pipe wasnt supported by the two screws to keep it raised properly, it found a place to rest on the side of the engine which caused so much vibration it wore a groove away on the metal a tiny bit.. When the revs went up, the metal on metal also caused the noise. Except for that the quad is in good condition. THe guy changed the oil every three rides. The problem of the loose exhaust he was totally unaware of cause i guess it was a gradual problem and he got used to the noise as it greatened. Do u think its worth 2850 with brand new holeshot tires. Like i said, the frame is in great condition, and there wasnt any neglect. THe brakes work good, lights work, and the engine runs smooth, not choppy and inconsistent like other engines. Anything that he didnt maintain was because he didnt know about it.

What do u guys think...like i said..it seems like it was taken care of. THe only thing that i cant rely on my eyes for is the condition of the inside of the engine. Visually, as much as i can see, there is nothing wrong with it. But with an engine, its all hiden inside.

Has the fact that the exhaust was loose messed up the engine, please let me know what u guys think. What should i do??!!! What should i look at. Please reply...thanks

Old 06-13-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like "easy" fixes, it does sound like the clutch is out of adjustment. nuetral should be easier to find when the motor is not running if its the clutch

Check the upper motor mounts, they break often and lead to exhaust problems, if those are broken then take the seat off and look at the frame near the airbox for cracks. Also put the warrior in neutral and give it a shove, it should roll kinda smooth, there is a cluster gear bearing that can ride out of the gear and bind on the case. Check the oil, if he changes it every 3 rides its should look brand new, if its dirty hes lying. check the front shocks, they should not be springy. Also see what kind of skid plate is on the belly of it, if its the stocker make sure its not bent up into the motor, it can wear through and start to leak oil. check for bent a bent axle, give it a ride around the yard and look back at the back wheels for wobble.

Old 06-13-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the reply...your good.

I didnt mention it but yes....when it is turned of neutral goes right in. When it on, it kinda like one of those things where u either dont push hard enough or you get to a point where it goes all the way. ITs really hard to get in between cause it just gives way. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-13-2002, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

if its not the clutch adjustment I would change to a different oil, try the yamalube and see if it makes an improvement. Even with a proberly adjusted clutch and the right oil neutral is still a little more difficult to find when its running.

Old 06-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

nope, im pretty sure it's the clutch. thanks. By the way, do u think that the exhaust pipe that goes into the engine being loose caused any damage to the engine...the kid had no idea it was like that so im sure it was running like that for a while.

Old 06-14-2002, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

hey where are u located compared to pocono, PA. Thats where i have a little cabin and where my warrior stays. U know any good ridin spots. Thanks for all your help!

Old 06-14-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Im about 2 hrs south of there, I have a brother inlaw that lives in mauchunk (sp?) up by jim thorpe, but I have never been there - we dont get along.

I dont think it could really hurt anything being loose but if its totally off it can burn the exhaust valve but I wouldnt worry about it if it runs well and doesnt smoke. is the stud broken off or just missing? if its broken off it will have to be drilled out and retapped for the new stud. Put some anti-seize on them.

Old 06-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

no, there are two screws that go into the two sides of head pipe that screw into the engine. One is totally missing and the other was a little loose. Tightening didnt do anything because it was the pivot that was causing the problem and that can only be prevented with one screw. Just in case, are exhaust valves expensive to replace, and what would signify that the exhaust valves are bad.

I dont mind taking it to my shop and spending 200 dollars to get it tuned up. As long as the engine and frame are sound. To me, the frame and especially the engine are the two most important thing on a quad. It usually the engine that makes he difference in buying a new to used quad. I guess its just the way i think.

Also, im buying it from East stroudsburg which is pretty much the lowest part of the area i live, and i live on a mountain. Not like a Camelback mountain but its a pretty good difference in elevation. Should i be worried if i take it home and when i go to give it gas, the engine loses it power and spazzes out as if it outta gas or has bad gas or something?

I really appreciate your replies. THanks a ton.

By the way, i dont think it comes with an engine skid plate. Did the 99's come witht the engine skid plates stock?