Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV age recamendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the deal with them im 12 about to turn 13 and have a lt-80 i got the thing when i was 6 and had no trouble at all with it. i'm 5'5" 135 lbs i have been "legaly" only ably to ride it for a year i take that thing places where a 400 size quad would be scared my atv is WAY to small for me i get bruises on the tops and insides of my knees when i ride the only way not to is to sit WAY to far back on the seat and its not as safe that way i used to try riding that way and i felt like i never had control of the quad and wrecked 27 times this was in a month that was more the 4 times as many times as i had wrecked in my lifetime i think the 12-15 range ought to be like 90-350 or something around that also (i need an adults view on this) why are my parents so reluctant to buy me a bigger one i would settle for a 95 warrior or blaster or something that would cost (if im correct on this) under a thousand dollars so why wont they buy it for me is it because htey still think im their "little baby" or too small cause im deffinatly not small anotherthing how can i still ride it when it says its maximum weight 145 lbs in the owners manual? when i ride i put about 25 lbs og weight on that front rack accessory and that means im around 160 why dont they just put reccamended size and weight like 30-50cc 3'5"-4'5" 50-75lbs and follows all the way through the line i have a 17 year old female cousin that barley weighs 100lbs and she can ride a 700 and here i go 30 lbs heavier than her and stuck on a 80 im at the bottom of that age limit and have out grown it whats the deallyo

Old 06-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

hey bro...im 16 and had the same problem. I was always good at controlling stuff like that but i had to wait since i was twelve to get my 400ex and warrior. What is the reason the wont get u the new one. If it the speed there worried about, i think they can govern it. If your a responsible kid, it shouldnt be a problem. Tell your parents i said u deserve it. In fact, its much more dangerous to drive a quad that is too small for u. Its not meant to handle your weight. There more of a chance with u losing control on a little pos quad then i full sizer with good brakes and suspension. Good luck!!!

Old 06-14-2002, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Wow! 500 words and 1 punctuation mark. That must be some kind of record. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, if you are 12 then what you ride is in reality, defined by your parents. Must be a bummer riding an LT80 for the last six years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Do you have any recent pictures of you on your LT80?

Maybe your parents will consider upgrading you to a 90 now??? Just kidding. ;(

Actually, I tried to help you but truly had no idea what you were trying to say or ask so I decide to just kick out a few jokes instead. If there is something you would like advice on maybe you can better explain it so we can help you out. Yes, I am being serious.

Old 06-15-2002, 01:43 PM
Fez
Range Rover

250ex

Old 06-16-2002, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

it was 500 words. i must have been in like a trance or something. i usually have trouble making full sentences. oh and sorry about the no punctuation marks. im used to AOL in stant messenger, no punctuation. i was asking why the recomendations are for small people and why they wont get me a new one. one of my parents friends has a 400ex and a 660r and is trying to sell the 400ex. i have a xr80 dirtbike plus my lt-80 that im sure he would be willing to trade for his daughters(plus babysitting hours of course). i ran the idea by my parents and they said no. my dad also mentioned we have nowhere to ride. we have like 3 acres of land that we live on that is boardered by like 200 acres of woods that ar "open" for me to ride on. all of our neighbors are used to the high pitched 2 stroke 80s so a 4 stroke would be about the same. i think he is saying that because i am just now starting to "blaze" tough trails with it. i have plenty of places to ride and with the bigger quad i could make trails through places my 80 couldnt go. so i see another advantage of a bigger quad. im gonna have to get my parents to read all of these posts and try to convince them to let me purchase or trade my way to a new quad. plz post some more and plz try to help me out on this one. another thing they think its gonna cost them for it i bet i could find a blaster for under a thousand and i could make more than that on selling my quad and dirtbike. wish me luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2002, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

if u have an 80 dirtbike, that thing must fly. If they let u ride that i dont see how they wont let u have a honda 400. Let him have it parents. Cut him a break!

Old 06-18-2002, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely,my son started at age 4 1/2 on a throttle limited LT80,he grew to full throttle use by age 6, by 7 I had to mod it to keep it interesting for him,and he easily mastered it. At 9,he was physically too large to ride for long comfortably on it,his knees were above the gas tank!! He got a Recon at 9,to get him used to shifting,and for hauling stuff on long trail rides. Now at 11, he stands 5' 3", and weighs 135,and wanted more spunk on the trail(and top end for keeping up with dad).He now runs a 300ex, and does really well,just think, legally,he isn't even ready for the LT80 !!! A lot of changes need to come about on this "age requirements" ,like body size and riding ability. Here in MN, a 9 year old can get certified to run a 700 cc triple cylinder snowmobile,but can't ride an 80 cc quad ???? I am not advocating throwing out rules all together,I still watch my son like a hawk, and monitor his riding skills, and continually train him on better and safer ways to master his quad,so far he has made me proud, and will continue to grow in skill and safety knowledge.
I guess to get to my point,if they fit(feet flat on the pegs with a little bend in the leg,arms easily reach the bars at max turns left and right) and have the muscle to operate all the controls,I personally don't see a problem with letting them ride,but until I have the power to make law, 'underage' riding will still continue,and people will get upset about not being able to always buy the correct size quad for their kids.Sorry about the long post,this has always been a touchy subject for me,above all RIDE SAFE,AND HAVE FUN.!!!!

Old 06-18-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

My son is 11 and rides any of my quads just fine. He is always under my direct supervision and wears a helmet when out riding. He is 5'3" - 110 lbs and outgrew his Badger 80 last year. The age thing is a recommendation, part of an agreement between the ATV makers and the government, born out of the 3-wheeler age. It mainly applies to the purchase of an ATV, not whether or not you can ride it. Your parents are the final authority on your ATV choice {as it should be}. As to your abilities, convince your parents that you are responsible enough as well as physically capable to ride a larger ATV. I'm sure they know you are big and strong enough, it's probably where your head is at that is most important to them. Good luck in your quest for a more fun and right sized quad. Show them my 11 y.o. son on an Ozark at my website, maybe that will help. BTW, the pic is staged to show his face, that is why he has no helmet on!