Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What do I buy? Honda - Cat - ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend recently purchsed a new 2002 Honda Forman ES. Now I am hooked big time and want to get a good machine to ride with him.

What would be the best machine for me? My main needs are hunting in Oregon, riding some rough trials and probably some playing around in light mud (when it rains in Oregon). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I like the Forman, but not sure about the ES? The 2002 Articat auto 375 4x4 looks good to me, not sure if it would stay with his forman.. The Honda dealer suggested the Rancher?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

They all ride fine in the parking lot, but what about in the real world?

I do want a 4X4 and I need to stay around $5,500.00 or less

Any suggestions, helps, etc..??

Old 06-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that you need to try a Kawasaki Prairie360. It is faster than both bikes you mentioned, it has selectable 2WD/4WD, locking front diff, aluminum swingarm with a sealed wet disc brake that works no matter where you are riding. It is air/oil cooled, automatic, & rides like you are on a cloud. I think this bike goes for about $5400 out the door.

Old 06-23-2002, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

My brother has a Foreman S and I have the AC 375. Speed wise the Honda is quicker, but that might be because my cat is not broken in yet. The Cat gives a nicer ride, has more clearance and more suspension travel. In a few mud puddles he was pushing drowning his Honda, where the Cat could have handled it being deeper yet.

My brother's girlfriend's cousin has the Foreman ES. She hates it. When the controls get wet she sometimes is unable to shift it.

I was in the same boat as you are. I highly recommend the Cats. I compared all manufactures and found the Cat had the best bang for the buck. The only thing that I would recommend it to get rid of the Dunlop tires and get something with more bite. The Dunlops fill quickly in the sticky stuff.

Good luck with your hunt.

Old 06-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Despite what others might say, Honda doesn't own the market when it comes to reliability. I can think of only one ATV manufacturer who has demonstrated significant problems with quality control and reliable performance. I own a Kawasaki and a Honda and consider the Kawasaki to be the "Toyota" of ATV's.

Old 06-26-2002, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

I thoroughly agree with springdrl.

Old 06-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I am going to check out the 360 this weekend. The dealer here in town has $5,499.00 on them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I will see if they will come down much since it is a 03' [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Does anyone know the cost to add the speedometer?? Could not find it on the website.

I tested the cat 375 again in the parking lot and it seemed to have a bit of top roll. But, it could just be my lack of experience. I asked a few others locally and everyone says they all take a little practice and getting used to.

The shop said that on the trail the 375 rides like a dream and that I would not notice it. He said he would take it over the Honda. He owns two shops one sells Honda & Yamaha the other shop he owns offers Artic Cat and Suzuki.. So he wins no matter what I buy out of those four makes.. I wish he had an Eiger to test, but he has sold out the vinsons and eigers. New ones due in a month or so

Old 06-26-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

The Kaw has a lower center of gravity than the Cat. I like the Cat, don't get me wrong, but I would take the Suzuki after the Kaw. I don't really have a need for IRS, & it's just more moving parts to maintain! Just my POV.

Old 06-27-2002, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

With the Cats you don't need to get the IRS if you don't want. At least this year you still can get still can get the ACT rearend.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

I went through the same process a couple of months back, and it's a tough choice. They're all good. Hard to beat Honda for reliability, though the Cat has a fine reputation for holding together if not quite the long history of Honda. The only fault I could find with Honda, and it was minor, was in a somewhat dated suspension, and drum brakes on some of the better models, but even then, they're fine riding machines. My 91 Yamaha big bear served me well for almost five years, extremely rugged and reliable, and their wolverine is quite fast. Your price range would also (barely) cover a Cat 400i, with the best ground clearance and suspension travel available. Better handling than the 375, IMHO, not prone to dipping the front when turning sharp. Not the quickest quad out there, unless they're stuck and you aren't. With new models on the way, I suspect the kitty dealers may be most accomodating on an instock model.

I ended up with a Cat 500i at a terrific price. Rolls over just about anything, rides like a cadillac, but still handles tight. I placed a premium on rough terrain capability, and the cat really shines there. If you stick to well traveled trails, the Honda or Kaw 360 may be a better choice.

Old 06-28-2002, 03:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

The dealer I am working with does not have any 400i models left. I would like to look at one. I might check out a couple dealers that are 80 miles away. But, I plan on staying local if possible. I am hoping that the 03 arrivals will influnce them to adjust the price on the 02' 375 cats. But, I still have to ride the kaw 360 this weekend! Can't wait!!!

That is interesting JohnO that you make the comment about rough terrain.. That has been mentioned to me a few times now. I have asked some atv owners locally and all have said for rough stuff go with the Kitty Cat. Claws over most things others won't. But, for smoother terrain kaw 360 or honda might be the better choice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

It will come down to gut feeling and willingness of the dealer to make me a deal within my budget.

I appreciate all the advice I am getting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: What do I buy? Honda - Cat - ??