Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need suggestions on new ATV purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2000, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to buy our first ATV's. I have looked at all of them but am still undecided. I'm looking for some input from you all to help in my decision. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the makes today.

Here is basically what we need in an ATV:

-Comfort comfort comfort. We plan on taking long trail rides and comfort is of the most importance. Not just a comfortable seat but suspension, handlebars, feet rests etc.
-Reliability. Nuff said.
-Noise, we need them to be relatively quiet, no loud 2 cycles.
-I'll be attaching a snow plow so i need 4wd but would much prefer to ability to shift from 2wd to 4wd since i was told full time 4wd steering is stiffer.
-I am 6'1, my wife is 5'11 so we need good sized machines but not too big like the Grizzly.
-Automatic would be a nice plus but not at the expense of noise. I have heard the automatics can be noisy. I also know about the Rubicon coming out but my understanding is that it's full time 4wd.

Thanks for any input.
Mason

Old 03-19-2000, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

I think your best choice would be a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak.It has auto tranny-with engine braking ,2&4WD,light-tight steering even in 4WD,liquid cooled{long term reliability},it's a midsized machine,but lightweight for a 4WD.I have ridden with my Grizzly and some polaris'sand my wife didn't like the hard turning,or the fact that she had to have a constant GORILLA GRIP on the one hand brake when going down big hills,due to the foot brake being relatively useless.Hope this helps!

Old 03-20-2000, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider

Mason:
Been looking at atv's for the last couple months now, with many of the same desires that you and your wife share. I have decided on, and plan to buy 2, 2000 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Automatics, here in the next couple weeks.

Their suspension system is very smooth, and very comfortable, compared to others in it's class. With 7.2" wheel travel at all four wheels, and 9.2 inches listed ground clearance. It is pretty quiet, has hydraulic disc brakes front and rear from single lever with rear hydraulic foot brake and engine braking as well. Rack capacity is the most of any atv, with 100lbs. front, and 200lbs. rear for hauling capabilities. Selectable 2WD, 4WD, with Hi, Lo range. 4.75 gal fuel tank for longer rides, and 25x10x12 tires at all four corners. Plus, they've got the 2000lb. warn winch for $69 till June 1st.

Also, take a look at the Moose Plow-60". Pretty stout plow, and hooks up real easy, raises and lowers with winch, or optional hand lever. Anyhow, might be worth a look. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Mike.

Old 03-20-2000, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with Jltimm

Old 03-20-2000, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I think you would make a great choice in either the AC 500 or a Sportsman 500 I will give you a 1 to 10 scale on the bikes. Take Jltim word for what you will he floats around the forum making smart remarks and is a polaris hater.

-Comfort comfort comfort. We plan on taking long trail rides and comfort is of the most importance. Not just a comfortable seat but suspension, handlebars, feet rests etc.

sportsman 10+ IRS, big seat,
AC 8.5 narrow seat, semi independant suspension
-Reliability. Nuff said.
sportsman 9 problems w/ tie rod ends, brakes
AC 9.5 problems w/ water pump leaking,
I have never had problems with any of these just remarks from RELIABLE USERS
-Noise, we need them to be relatively quiet, no loud 2 cycles.
Sportsman 10 really quiet machine for 500cc
AC 8.5 little noisier
-I'll be attaching a snow plow so i need 4wd but would much prefer to ability to shift from 2wd to 4wd since i was told full time 4wd steering is stiffer.
sportsman 10 true 4 wheel drive 2 and 4 drive switch (button)
AC 8 3 wheel drive, clumsy 2 to 4 drive shift lever
-I am 6'1, my wife is 5'11 so we need good sized machines but not too big like the Grizzly.
sportsman 9.5 big machine but easy to handle because of IRS and 2 to 4 kicks in when you want it
AC 9.5 big machine steers great
-Automatic would be a nice plus but not at the expense of noise. I have heard the automatics can be noisy. I also know about the Rubicon coming out but my understanding is that it's full time 4wd.
sportsman 10 one of the quietess machines on the market I would say most quiet bike on the market for its size
AC 8.5 more noisy than a honda but quieter than a yamaha
Thanks for any input.

These are true and fair evaluations let us know what you decide on

Old 03-20-2000, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

The Grizzly is lighter,and more nimble than that unreliable,overweight tub you call a 4-wheeler.Plus it's a little less expensive than the polaris.I admit that it probably has a nicer ride but that won't do you any good when your pushing it home.

Old 03-21-2000, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Or vice a versa when the sportsman is pulling you home from overheating...and you know the Grizz won't mud with the sportsman. What is your problem anyway no one came in here asking you to bash polaris, they ask for an opinion not bashing

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2000, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When comparing the Grizzly to the Sportsman,there is no match.In 1999,I selected the Sportsman over the Grizz.Why?Sportsman was liquid cooled,has IRS,most ground clearance in it's class, Sportsman 32 hp compared to 30 on the larger displacement Grizz,True 4X4 on the Sportsman,compared to limited slip on the Grizz,and the Grizz has a reputation for running VERY hot.The ride on the Sportsman is unmatched by any other quad in it's class.I added a plow,very agressive in the heavier snow.The only thing the Grizz has over the Sportsman is it does weigh less [600lbs compared to 697lbs]On nice long trail rides,you wont even notice the differance in their weight.Now you go make the choice,===Bill

Old 03-22-2000, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Im still learning my Sportsman but do love to ride it. I personaly think its the best made but than again thats what I ride. Also dont overlook the Magunm 500 it just beat the Grizzly and for simplicity may be better than the Sportsman. I really wanted a Sportsman and never heard a bad thing about until I got online,but if I had not of found a good deal on a used one I would have proably bought the Magunm500 or the new Kodiak 400
as they are great machines in fact every machine mentioned in this forum would be a good choice.
As far as noise goes my Sportsman 500 is much morequite than my brothers Kodiak 400 but my muffler must weigh 50lbs lol.
Just ride everthing you can make decision on what your comfortable with.

Old 03-22-2000, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Don't forget the Grizz is also tighter turning,more reliable,way easier maintenance,cheaper and is not overengineered.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions on new ATV purchase