Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Why are ATV getting so Large?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand why a sport ATV is being designed larger and larger. They want to be the fastest. And even after all the mods with speed one must increast engine size. But lets look at the utilities for a minute. The size of these brutes are becoming huge. I suppose there may be some merit in towing with these machines but as far as trails, hunting and general riding, I consider them a bit too large. They do have power to go through the muck, but a smaller lighter machine will do just as well. And if you ever get one stuck, you are not getting it out without a winch or two. The steering is much heavier than a smaller ATV and you often have to wrestle it to get it to turn tight or use the reverse a bunch. Additionaly if you are traveling throught the woods making your way between trees, you will surely be pushing over a number of trees and not negotiating between them. I dont consider doing 65 mph as an advantage. Difficult to push this much weight off of you when you wreck. I am sure you 650, 660, and 700 owners will jump on me for this one, So enough with the whining.

As you can see I have a 300 4X4 that has served me well. While looking for another small 4X4, it appears the choices are slim. Other than the small Suzukis, which I think are on the way out, what else is there?

Old 09-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

I won't jump dormrat. All that I can say is ya gotta go with what yanks your crank. I wanted a big, bad, powerful 4x4 and that is what I got and then some. I ride with a fella that has a warrior. He loves running circles around me on the trails, but when it comes to big hills (up or down) or any amount of mud, he relies on me to go first and use my winch if needed. The point is that we both have a ton of fun.

Old 09-21-2002, 02:20 AM
The Facility

The ATV industry has been dealt the short end of the stick since the beginning.

Look at the rest of the powersports industry. Watercraft and Snowmobiles. You hardly ever find anything "small" anymore in those categories.

The ATV industry is just now giving us what we all have wanted since the beginning. There will always be a need for 250 class quads, but I think the "surge of size" will continue to around 1000cc and settle there.

Sound crazy?? Nope. Yamaha has that exact thing waiting in the wings for the next supercession of the Grizzly 660.

Old 09-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Well I think this may be the case. Unfortunately bigger is not always better. Just perceived that way. I think partly because of this surge in larger machines, more trails will be closed to us. A larger heavier machine can damage the landscape much worse than a lighter one especially in water crossings and mud. Almost as bad a 4X4 truck. "Tread lightly" is all but a dying phrase. Don't get me wrong I am not a liberal THugger, but I do want our trails to stay open. I suppose there is not stopping the market demands. Manufacturers will always give us what we want(at least until it become illegal).
Now if only the manufacturers would make me what I want:
A 300cc based machine with 2/4 wheel drive capability, on the fly differential locking front end, low/high range and decent tires! Guess it too small and niche with no profit margins. May have to settle with the Prarie 360 and add tires.

But maybe a bigger 450 yamaha auto. For only a few more dollars.... at Kaw 650

STOP ME!.... I'm TRANSFORMING>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>

;0)

Old 09-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

Dormrat,
If you ever get a chance to ride out here in the Rockies you'll find out why the larger displacements are happening. Try going up a steep hill at 8,000 feet elevation and you'll soon run out of power. Especially if you're racks are loaded. Not everybody rides on flat land and at the lower elevations. I used to live, and ride, in Fl. and the elevation makes a HUGE difference. I also remember the concerns about the bikes getting larger and the powers that be looking into closing access to the larger bikes. That's why you see some of the manufacturers taking a self imposed stance at keeping they're bikes at 600 pounds.

Old 09-23-2002, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

Dormrat, the Prairie 360 is your machine. The only quad I've ever seen with a "good tire" as stock has been the 700 Sportsman, and those Goodyears ain't great. Tires are a wear item anyway, its not like you're stuck with them, most dealers will actually change them before the machine leaves the dealership if you work it into your deal.

Old 09-23-2002, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

One thing that shouldn't be over looked is the fact that just because the engine size is smaller doesn't mean that the quad it self is smaller. The Prairie 360 weighs as much as the 650! The dimensions are similar, so by staying with a smaller sized engine doesn't mean that you have a smaller quad. Like skipshot said, most companies are imposing a 600 lb weight limit on themselves, so while the engine's may be getting larger, the quads themselves are not, or at least not very much.

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2002, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

yep. according to yamaha, my raptor 660 is lighter than a warrior 350.
as for choice, thats yer free market at work my friend. look at the variety of cars and trucks! oh.... damage? went riding today at anarea that has been closed for months due to fire danger. guess what was on both sides of the 48" wide trail, fflattening bushes, etc? tracks from some clown's 4x4 truck. and empty beer cans where the trail meets the pavement! man, if i could just catch these clowns once.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2002, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

The wolverine is light and 4x4. Is there something wrong with your Bayou? You sound pretty happy with it.

Old 09-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

Didn't know about the 600 pound thing. Thanks for the info. I really dont care about engine size, but usually with an engine size means a larger frame. Thats usually the problem in the woods. Mot many small frame around any more. Hadn't really thought about the elevation problem, I am around 30 Ft. And for rock climbing I suspect you need all the power and clearance you can get. The Bayou is a good solid machine with no complaints other than I can't keep any rear brakes on it. It is just begining to show some age. Smokes a bit, a few cracks in plastic etc...
I'm sure I'll keep it. But when looking for anotgher work machine, I was surprised to find few choices. I really would like the differential locking front. The bayou works good in the muck, but would really help over a log or two with DL. I thought the frame was smaller on the Praire 360 than the 650. I'll have to look at it again. Another ATV I like is the Kodiak 450. Not sure about the automatics, it would be my first one. I think they have tall the bugs worked out by know.
I suspect market drive R&D. And most demand is for mid to large. Probably will have to go that way kicking and screaming.... Then when I get one, I'll probably never look back. Sort of like getting cruise control or power windows. Once you have them, you'll never have another vehicle without....

Quick Reply: Why are ATV getting so Large?