Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Three Wheeler or Four Wheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Wheeler or Four Wheeler?

I plan on getting an older ATV to fix up in power mechanics soon. What I want to know is should I get a Honda Big Red 250 of an older Honda four-wheeler? I would use it for hunting, trapping, fishing, going in the woods, bit of mud, bit of snow when their's not enough for the snowmobie and a bit of water. Thank you

--Jason

Old 02-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

My parents bought two Honda Big Red 250's new in 1985 and i grew up on those things and beat the $@%* out of them and they have recieved minimal maintenance I rode them in conditions from 100 degrees out to -30 degrees out no bull and never had a problem and never played with jetting or anything. I have used them for fishing, hunting, trapping and everthing you list I have sunk them and everything and they just keep going you can not kill one and they hold up awesome you can go through everything just keep weight off the front wheel by getting on the back of it and it will go I schooled a sportsman 500 my buddy had many a times think god he had a winch because that woudl be a pig to get out with these if you get stuck you can get it out yourself. Later, seth

Old 02-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Range Rover

P.S. We still have them today and in fact I was riding them on the lake last weekend and they are doing great!

Old 02-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

If you're familiar with ATC's, then they can be a lot of fun. I've got 2 of them myself. If you're not familiar with them, then you may be better off going with an older ATV. ATC's require a completely different riding style, and if you try to ride one like an ATV, you're gonna get hurt. If you want something more for recreation, go with the ATC. If you want more of a workhorse thsat is safer and more stable, go with the ATV.

Old 02-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt get a three wheeler. my dad had a motorized scooter. (three wheels) and it tipped over and he ended up immobilized for over a year. theres some food for thought.

Old 02-26-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Get a quad...there are some REAL good reasons they dont make 3-wheelers anymore!!! (see post above) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2003, 12:33 AM
Range Rover

i agree that a big red three wheeler is a bullet proof atc but when i go out riding with my buddies they can never go on all of the roughf and steep trails. they have roled, gotten stuck and even tip on high speed turns. my magnum is the tow truck of our group as well as my buds sportsmen. my thought ATV

Old 03-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

PS: extreamly fun to spin around on the frozen pond by my house[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2003, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider

3 wheeler require a lot of work/experince. with the right rider it will go more places than a quad and it would be safe. with the wrong rider with no experince it will not be safe, and you will not get far on the rough stuff. I say quad is the way to go.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a Honda 250 Big red as well... and the others are 100% correct... YOU CAN"T KILL THEM
I went swimming with it once... and it was running again the same day (after 3 oil changes). I've crashed it lots of times and the only thing that ever broke was a bit of the plastic fender.

They are no less or more dangerous than an ATV... you just have drive properly and according to the level of your experience.

Quick Reply: Three Wheeler or Four Wheeler?