Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

financing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default financing question

If my wife has a quad in her name, can we trade it in and put the new quad in my name? Basically she want's to trade in her EX but her credit is maxxed but I have very little on mine. Can this be done? Thanks...

Old 04-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. You should be able to do it as long as her quad is paid off and in her name. (Laws might be different in Ohio) She will probably just have to be there to sign the title. I always like to sell instead of trade because you get more in the end. It also makes it easier to get a good price on the new item. Some places refuse to go down on the price if you have a trade. They would have lowered the price with no trade. So you lose some of the lowering price within the trade. If you owe money on her quad it would probably be better to just sell it yourself. If there is any extra money from the sale then apply it to new purchase.

Old 04-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to make this work even if you still owe on your wifes quad. The trade is basically a sale to the dealer. If there is still a balance due on the bike, upon the sale the lein of the note is obligated to be paid first (to release title etc.). Whatever is left is the equity used for a downpayment towards the new bike. It makes no difference who originally owned the bike - You could have a friend take his ATV in to trade in as equity on your new ATV and it would still work . . .Except I doubt that most of us have friends willing to do that.

Jaybee